Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Gil

MLB Ejection 096 - Jerry Meals (2; Aaron Boone)

1B Umpire Jerry Meals ejected Yankees Manager Aaron Boone (dead ball strike three call by HP Umpire Ed Hickox) in the top of the 6th inning of the Yankees-Indians game. With none out and none on, Yankees batter Giancarlo Stanton swung at a 0-2 fastball from Indians pitcher Steve Clevinger,...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

What a stupid argument to get dumped about.

2 hours ago, maven said:

What a stupid argument to get dumped about.

You said that right.c

Guess when any batter takes a  home run swing on a down and in slider, and the ball cleary hits the batter on that back foot, Boone will be tearing out of the dugout for that HBP.

He will even totally ignore the fact, when/if it happens,  on a swing that was so obvious and was so hard that the swing drilled the catcher in the head on the follow through, that he will claim the HBP on the back foot over-rules any other action or rules that need to be adjudicated.

1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

Guess when any batter takes a  home run swing on a down and in slider, and the ball cleary hits the batter on that back foot, Boone will be tearing out of the dugout for that HBP.

I don't think he wanted HBP, I think he wanted a foul ball.

And we have seen that very question in this forum before: but PU here (as we should assume, especially after they conferenced!) made the correct call. The ball is dead when it hits the batter, so it's not a batted ball at all. It therefore has no fair/foul status, and was correctly ruled a dead-ball strike.

I could see a skipper coming out and asking whether it didn't hit the bat first, which would indeed be a foul ball (batted ball hits batter in legal batting position). But to get dumped over this? Stoopic.

In certain instances, if the ball hits that hand/bat would be hard to tell anyway. Can they get New York involved in all instances of hand/bat that are exactly like this one? If not, this would be one of the few left (like check swing), that if one wants to fire up the team, even if nuts to do so, it leaves the old time judgment argument intact without NY having a say.

I didn't see anything to set him off , but at first Boone comes out to ask (maybe to get help?). Then it looks like he turns toward the dugout then turns back and goes off.

At least he admitted post game the call was correct.

Also, at least to me, it looked like the ejection from Meals came from out of nowhere. I could understand if it was Hamari with the ejection (as the calling umpire). But Meals seems to come from out of the blue to run Boone.

12 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

But Meals seems to come from out of the blue to run Boone.

Meals is the Crew Chief. If Boone is carrying on, berating the crew to conduct a replay review where none is warranted, or insults the integrity of the crew as a whole, then Meals is well within his duties to dump him.

Aaron Boone does not know the rules.  When all of ESPN's "baseball experts" (along with some players, coaches and managers) took a 10-question rules quiz in 2013, Mr. Boone came in dead last.  He got 1 out of 10 correct.  

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/9389802/how-well-do-know-baseball-rules-take-our-quiz

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

Meals is the Crew Chief. If Boone is carrying on, berating the crew to conduct a replay review where none is warranted, or insults the integrity of the crew as a whole, then Meals is well within his duties to dump him.

I don't disagree and it probably the way the situation was filmed. But it seems like Meals wasn't anywhere near Hamari and Boone... and then he was. Not saying anything was wrong. Just an observation.