Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Tksjewelry

Illegal pitch mechanic.

How do you signal then enforce an illegal pitch?

Had one last week and since it's not something Ive seen much of, I did what I believed was right. I'm BU. I held my left fist straight out, once the pitch was called a strike I called time and said "that's an illegal pitch, ball to the batter". I have no idea if that's even remotely close but it got the call across and no one said boo about it but I still want to have it right.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Call it like a balk. I believe a batted illegal pitch works much the same way as a balk in OBR. I believe only softball still uses the extended arm for delayed dead ball.

FED, it would be dead, so "That's an illegal pitch, TIME. "

Thanks, I probably was told the arm thing from a guy who does both baseball and softball as many of my trainers did.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Following an illegal pitch the ball is delayed dead in NCAA and OBR. If the batter does not reach first, call a ball. Of course, with a runner(s) on base an illegal pitch is a balk.

NCAA rule 9-1d. If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch with the bases unoccupied, it is a ball unless the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or otherwise.

NCAA rule 2 SECTION 43. Illegal Pitch A pitch delivered to the batter without the pitcher’s pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s rubber or the pitcher making a quick return pitch. With no runner(s) on base, it is a ball; with a runner(s) on base, it is a balk (see 9-1-d; 9-2-a; and 9-3-i).

OBR rule 6.02(b) Illegal Pitches With Bases Unoccupied

If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch with the bases unoccupied, it shall be called a ball unless the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or otherwise.