Batter's box fair territory

Pjandham
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2085 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

13 answers to this question

Nothing until the ball stops or is touched by a fielder 

if the ball were to stop in the triangle that would be the corner of the box that is in fair territory, it would be a fair ball, or if touched in that corner it would be a fair ball.  

Why would it be anything other?

11 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

There is a set of people who believe the entire batter's box is foul territory, regardless of the lines coming from the point of the plate.

Even if it were, the ball would still not be foul (yet) any more than a batted ball that strikes the plate and then rolls fair (a common myth),  or a ball that rolls down the 1st or 3rd base lines curving from foul to fair.

It's nothing until it comes to rest, is touched or passes first or third.

2 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Even if it were, the ball would still not be foul (yet) any more than a batted ball that strikes the plate and then rolls fair (a common myth),  or a ball that rolls down the 1st or 3rd base lines curving from foul to fair.

It's nothing until it comes to rest, is touched or passes first or third.

True - my statement was in the context of the ball stopping or being touched at that point, in response to stkjock's question.

Yes - as asked in the OP, it's nothing yet and could end up either.

8 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

True - my statement was in the context of the ball stopping or being touched at that point, in response to stkjock's question.

my question was to the OP....  in an effort to prompt additional information about the question 

13 minutes ago, stkjock said:

my question was to the OP....  in an effort to prompt additional information about the question 

The question won't get you much if he believes it should be a fair ball.

Based on how the OP worded his post...I get the impression that he believes that it should be a fair ball, but likely ran into an umpire or coach who insisted it was foul...because they  believe the batter's box is all foul territory.

Why do they believe that?   Or as you say, why would it be be anything other than a fair ball?  For the same reason that hands are part of the bat, or a ball that touches home plate is foul,  or a base runner can't give his coach a high five on the way home, or a fat man breaks into your house and leaves you merchandise.

8 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

There is a set of people who believe the entire batter's box is foul territory, regardless of the lines coming from the point of the plate.

There are many sets of people who believe in a lot of untrue things like a flat Earth, Bigfoot, and vaccines causing autism.

Just cause they believe it doesn't make them right.

7 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

There are many sets of people who believe in a lot of untrue things like a flat Earth, Bigfoot, and vaccines causing autism.

Just cause they believe it doesn't make them right.

Heyyyyyyy no Bigfoot slander on the message board. 

• Haha 1

I'm pretty sure I saw Elvis at the Piggly Wiggly last night picking up some Bananas and Peanut butter.........But I had stopped at Uncle Amos's house for a quick taste of his "Who Hit John?" , so it could have been just a fat guy in a Cadillac.....