Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
DontSuck1977

Stepped off but kept his hands together -

Guys, 

Pitchers: with runners comes set and steps off but keeps his hands together.  I've heard that's a balk other guys have said that its not a balk. Too me,  it seems that's it's a move associated with the pitch but than I think is it really move....  he's not moving he's standing there.  

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

He just must drop the hands before re-engaging the rubber.  And, even then, it's just a "don't do that."

Now, being off the rubber and then joining the hands (as in a motion to come set) -- that's a horse of a different color.

• Like 1

Separating the hands and then stepping off is another. 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, noumpere said:

He just must drop the hands before re-engaging the rubber

I've never heard it this way, I've always heard "separate" the hands.  Ultimately, the same result.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, DontSuck1977 said:

steps off but keeps his hands together

Let's say..........runner on 2nd.  He (R2) is checking F6 & F4 to see if he can continue getting a lead (or not).  WHILE R2 IS CHECKING,  F1 disengages, but DOES NOT separate his hands.  When R2 looks back up and sees hands together........ In the eyes of R2, he's still "safe" (no pun intended) to lead.  Whereas, if F1 disengages and separates his hands, R2 now realizes that the likelihood of being picked off has just increased drastically. 

And before I get lambasted about R2 should be more aware............I'm not saying he shouldn't.  I'm attempting to provide an example of advantage vs. disadvantage.

9 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Let's say..........runner on 2nd.  He (R2) is checking F6 & F4 to see if he can continue getting a lead (or not).  WHILE R2 IS CHECKING,  F1 disengages, but DOES NOT separate his hands.  When R2 looks back up and sees hands together........

R2 should only watch the pitcher.  Watching F4/6 is the coach's job.

Just now, noumpere said:

R2 should only watch the pitcher.  Watching F4/6 is the coach's job.

KEEP READING!!!

10 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

And before I get lambasted about R2 should be more aware............I'm not saying he shouldn't.  I'm attempting to provide an example of advantage vs. disadvantage

• Confused 1

Some fields have crappy mounds and it can be tough to see exactly where the rubber is as well. 

21 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I've never heard it this way, I've always heard "separate" the hands.  Ultimately, the same result.

Let's say..........runner on 2nd.  He (R2) is checking F6 & F4 to see if he can continue getting a lead (or not).  WHILE R2 IS CHECKING,  F1 disengages, but DOES NOT separate his hands.  When R2 looks back up and sees hands together........ In the eyes of R2, he's still "safe" (no pun intended) to lead.  Whereas, if F1 disengages and separates his hands, R2 now realizes that the likelihood of being picked off has just increased drastically. 

And before I get lambasted about R2 should be more aware............I'm not saying he shouldn't.  I'm attempting to provide an example of advantage vs. disadvantage.

Wouldn't the move to 2nd be the same here whether he was engaged or not?  I don't see an advantage gained. Even on a flip throw.

Now if F1 simulated a pitching motion...

There is/was a MLB rule which states the pitcher must separate his hands when stepping off, but that is from the windup. 

6 hours ago, Tborze said:

Wouldn't the move to 2nd be the same here whether he was engaged or not?  I don't see an advantage gained. Even on a flip throw.

Now if F1 simulated a pitching motion...

There is/was a MLB rule which states the pitcher must separate his hands when stepping off, but that is from the windup. 

If he’s off the rubber he can throw without stepping. That might be faster and or mor deceitful

19 minutes ago, noumpere said:

If he’s off the rubber he can throw without stepping. That might be faster and or mor deceitful

Ahh, just re-read where he separated his hands as in a motion to pitch. Still not illegal. 

On 7/11/2018 at 3:29 PM, DontSuck1977 said:

Guys, 

Pitchers: with runners comes set and steps off but keeps his hands together.  I've heard that's a balk other guys have said that its not a balk. Too me,  it seems that's it's a move associated with the pitch but than I think is it really move....  he's not moving he's standing there.  

To this question:  that's nothing, as long as it's a proper disengage