Double Set - Balk

DontSuck1977
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2071 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

NFHS Rules - Summer HSDL - Sub Varsity Level.

The pitcher brought his hands together down low,  raised them about shoulder height and finally came to complete stop around about the chest area. He kind of stopped at different points however the motion fairly continuous, and he did finally stopped at the end.  Did, he balk?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, DontSuck1977 said:

NFHS Rules - Summer HSDL - Sub Varsity Level.

The pitcher brought his hands together down low,  raised them about shoulder height and finally came to complete stop around about the chest area. He kind of stopped at different points however the motion fairly continuous, and he did finally stopped at the end.  Did, he balk?

There's no "kind of stopped."  There's either stopped or not stopped.

9 minutes ago, DontSuck1977 said:

He brings his hands together down low raises them up high, drops them a bit and comes to a stop prior to delivering the pitch.  I hope, I'm describing what I saw accurately. 

I understand.  It's what you said before.  My answer stands.

If you have him coming to a complete stop and then moving again, any subsequent stop is a double set. If you see it, call it, but just make sure everything is stopped... 

2 hours ago, DontSuck1977 said:

He kind of stopped at different points however the motion fairly continuous

Pick one...be an umpire...make the call or no call. Have your explanation ready before asked. 

Understand that those there will probably second-guess you, no matter your choice...goes with the territory.

@Ricka56 be an Umpire WTF does that mean...  I hope you're not trying to be a douche.

I assure you,  I made a firm decision on the field albeit right or wrong.  Plus.... had I called the balk for this motion,  I would have had no issue explaining what I had and why I called it.

My issue was that I had heard several interpretations on what is legal and even tonight a fellow official said, secondary sets were allowed which I've never heard.  

Apologies for the terrible explanation of what he was doing.

47 minutes ago, DontSuck1977 said:

@Ricka56 be an Umpire WTF does that mean...  I hope you're not trying to be a douche.

He's not being a douche. "Be an umpire" is akin to an often used phrase around here where questions are asked and the answer depends largely on judgement..."Sometimes you just have to umpire"

I assure you,  I made a firm decision on the field albeit right or wrong.  Plus.... had I called the balk for this motion,  I would have had no issue explaining what I had and why I called it.

My issue was that I had heard several interpretations on what is legal and even tonight a fellow official said, secondary sets were allowed which I've never heard.  

That official is wrong. Once everything stops in the set, F1 cannot move the hands and stop again. You need to decide if everything stopped at the belt, and/or the shoulders, before everything stopping again at the chest. 2 stops = double set....Balk.

Apologies for the terrible explanation of what he was doing.

• Like 1