Is this "play on"?

Guest RJB
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2089 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Minor league professional baseball: Runner on 2nd, 0 outs. Batter hits routine ground ball straight at first baseman. The right handed first baseman easily fields the ball, trots a few steps and steps on first base. The batter runner is running hard but is easily out by 20 or more feet. The runner from 2nd has advanced to third.  After touching first base the first baseman continues his trot toward home, along the first baseline with the ball in his mitt. The batter runner continued his sprint even after being put out and his leg collides with the first baseman's mitt about 15 feet prior to first base. The ball is dislodged from the mitt, rolls into right field and the runner from 2nd scores. Voluntary release, interference, play on, dead ball, batter runner safe also?

7 answers to this question

Let me first state that I exclusively umpire for softball, so if this is incorrect, I apologize. Here is the softball rule: "If a retired runner interferes and, in the judgment of the Umpire, another runner could have been put out, the Umpire shall declare the runner closest to home out." Sounds like interference in this case, but no opportunity to put R3 out (because he would've stayed at third presumably), so just a dead ball with no outs other than the BR.

24 minutes ago, Guest RJB said:

Minor league professional baseball: Runner on 2nd, 0 outs. Batter hits routine ground ball straight at first baseman. The right handed first baseman easily fields the ball, trots a few steps and steps on first base. The batter runner is running hard but is easily out by 20 or more feet. The runner from 2nd has advanced to third.  After touching first base the first baseman continues his trot toward home, along the first baseline with the ball in his mitt. The batter runner continued his sprint even after being put out and his leg collides with the first baseman's mitt about 15 feet prior to first base. The ball is dislodged from the mitt, rolls into right field and the runner from 2nd scores. Voluntary release, interference, play on, dead ball, batter runner safe also?

Play on. Merely continuing to run is not interference.

Rule 6.01(a )(5) Comment: If the batter or a runner continues to
advance or returns or attempts to return to his last legally touched
base after he has been put out, he shall not by that act alone be
considered as confusing, hindering or impeding the fielders.

• Like 1

I have this here...

7 hours ago, Jakester5112 said:

Let me first state that I exclusively umpire for softball, so if this is incorrect, I apologize. Here is the softball rule: "If a retired runner interferes and, in the judgment of the Umpire, another runner could have been put out, the Umpire shall declare the runner closest to home out." Sounds like interference in this case, but no opportunity to put R3 out (because he would've stayed at third presumably), so just a dead ball with no outs other than the BR.

8 hours ago, Guest RJB said:

Play on.

Except that if the runner was really out by 20 feet and then there was some sort of collision, there possibly was a reason for it -- one of the players was trying to intimidate the other.  Look for a bunch of chest puffing, and maybe a subsequent 'accidental" HBP.

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

Play on.

Except that if the runner was really out by 20 feet and then there was some sort of collision, there possibly was a reason for it -- one of the players was trying to intimidate the other.  Look for a bunch of chest puffing, and maybe a subsequent 'accidental" HBP.

Whether the retired B-R was in the running lane is relevant to his getting hit by a throw to HP. Altough I only have that from a confusing 2011 BRD cite. I wonder if not being in the lane, if that was the case in the OP, would be relevant.

17 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Whether the retired B-R was in the running lane is relevant to his getting hit by a throw to HP.

No, it's not.

The rule prevents interfering with a fielder taking a throw at first base (or some such wording) -- nothing about a throw from first to home.

And, nothing about such a throw in the OP, either.

16 minutes ago, noumpere said:

No, it's not.

The rule prevents interfering with a fielder taking a throw at first base (or some such wording) -- nothing about a throw from first to home.

And, nothing about such a throw in the OP, either.

The BRD play had the B-R out on a pop up at the plate with R1 stealing. They say if a throw from F2 to F3 at 1B to retire R1 hit the B-R outside the lane it would be interference.  It wouldn't apply in this OP. So running lane is not relevant and intent would have to be judged to call interference. HTBT