Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
rzanew

Infield Fly with Tagup

16U Summer ball tournament using NHFS rules

R1, R2, 0 outs. I, as BU, am in C.   Infield fly rule in affect.  Sunny, hot, windy conditions.

High fly ball is hit toward F6 & F5.  Initially F6 calls for the ball is is waiting to make the catch.  Wind blowing in from Left Center.  F6, F5 and F1 all moving toward the likely position the ball will fall, which keeps them moving closer to the plate.  Ball is caught by F6 very close to the mound.  Since F5 and F6 have moved from their original position, 3B coach calls to R2 to advance to 3rd.  He advances with a not so close play at 3rd (F5 out of position but trying to cover).

Defense now appeals that R2 left 2B before the catch. 

My question -- Who is responsible for the tag of R2 (and R1) during IFR?  Since I was watching the catch (from C), my back is to 2B, and unable to see if R2 tags up after the catch.  Should I have pivoted on first touch of the ball to see R2 (and not see the result of the catch attempt)?  It didn't occur to me to check on the tag-up :o, as advancing on IFR is very rare.  PU made the ruling on the appeal, as he was close to inline with the catch and R2.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Your job to see tag ups of R1 and R2.  Quick glance over your shoulder on the catch.  Sounds like you, as well as the defense, encountered the umpire's worst enemy... surprise.  Don't allow yourself to be surprised.

• Like 1

I would think PU has it all. PU has IFF, catch (first touch), tag up of R2 and covering 3B. You should have moved toward 3rd and got first touch and R1, and try to help on R2.  Tough one!  Were you guys communicating?  

JC, Was IFF called?

• Like 1

The BU would have the tag-ups. If you started in C, then the ball (catch) would be in front of you (you would see the back of the fielder), the catch should be handled by PU. Communication is the key - don't get lulled into a routine play, because nothing is routine.

Sounds like the wind was an issue, so you may not have a routine play - time for head on a swivel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnpatrick said:

Sounds like you, as well as the defense, encountered the umpire's worst enemy... surprise.  Don't allow yourself to be surprised.

57 minutes ago, maineump said:

Communication is the key - don't get lulled into a routine play, because nothing is routine.

Sounds like the wind was an issue, so you may not have a routine play - time for head on a swivel.

I agree with you both.  I was surprised by R2 advancing on a "routine" fly ball.

This was a first for me.  When was the last time you saw (or heard about) a runner tagging and advancing on a caught infield fly?

1 hour ago, Tborze said:

PU has IFF, catch (first touch), tag up of R2 and covering 3B.

1. Standard fly ball coverage: BU has the "vee," from his position to the left/right fielders, and all catch/no catch in that triangle. Here, the ball was fielded behind BU, so he does not have the catch: because the ball drifted back, make sure to communicate.
  2. 'First touch'? Football has 'first touching', but this is not a common baseball term (at least not around here).
  3. PU never has touches/retouches at 1B or 2B, only 3B.
  4. PU stays home once we have R2 or R3.

1 hour ago, maven said:
  1. Standard fly ball coverage: BU has the "vee," from his position to the left/right fielders, and all catch/no catch in that triangle. Here, the ball was fielded behind BU, so he does not have the catch: because the ball drifted back, make sure to communicate. So PU would have catch. 
  2. 'First touch'? Football has 'first touching', but this is not a common baseball term (at least not around here). First touch was mentioned in the OP. 
  3. PU never has touches/retouches at 1B or 2B, only 3B. 
  4. PU stays home once we have R2 or R3. It was R1 & R2. 

In #3, with R1 & R2, U1 in C, ball hit to CF, PU doesn't have R1?

15 minutes ago, Tborze said:

Nope. Never.

53 minutes ago, Tborze said:

To be clearer: once we have a runner on or beyond 2B, PU will stay home. We have to be prepared for plays at the plate.

7 hours ago, Tborze said:

No. BU has both base tags, and R1 into 2B.

6 hours ago, maven said:

To be clearer: once we have a runner on or beyond 2B, PU will stay home. We have to be prepared for plays at the plate.

Except R1, R2, fly ball not on the RF line. PU has R2 into 3B tagging up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tborze said:

By strict mechanics, no -- BU has all tagups at first and second.

But, if BU is busy with a trouble ball in CF, then a good PU will at least sneak a peak at R1 to help out.

It's kind of like those old-timey dance instructions where they put the foot outlines on the floor.  That's all well-and-good to learn to dance, but to be really good at it, you need to learn to read your partner.

• Thanks 1

Agreed. It’s just so easy for the plate guy to watch the tag at 2nd if it’s a ball in the V. I always do. I’m starting to move towards third anyway, and since I don’t have to track the fly ball as aggressively (looking for first contact and timing) I may as well watch that runner in-line with the catch so I’m watching something. I can probably see the runner on first as well, but he’s generally halfway or whatever and not tagging, so not a huge issue. 

• Like 1