Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Gil

MLB Ejection 091 - Bill Welke (3; Tim Leiper)

1B Umpire Bill Welke ejected Blue Jays 1B Coach Tim Leiper (pace of play/interpreter entering the playing field during mound visit rule; QOCY) in the top of the 8th inning of the Yankees-Blue Jays game. Following the conclusion of the 7th inning, Blue Jays relief pitcher Seunghwan Oh replaced...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

@Gil, can something please be done about that Orville dude? His flaming is getting to the point of annoying!

• Like 2

I have to think that the rule/interp is likely in place to prevent an interpreter from exiting the dugout to translate for the catcher or other fielder during one of those types of mound visits after having just gotten a message from the manager or pitching coach.  It could, if you were sneaky and underhanded, be a way to get a few extra mound visits in.  Kind of like how we charge a trip from the manager/coach if the catcher speaks to them and then directly goes to the pitcher.  This is clearly not what happened in this case.  So how could the wording be altered to be more fair?  

I imagine it could be changed to include when an umpire gives instruction. But I don't know.