Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
crussellii

Umpire arm shield

Actually had an umpire in Bridgeport WV doing Pony baseball games with a shield. What was odd was he still had under shirt chest guard on. Older gentleman, noticed he kept his indicator is his right hand backwards. Didn’t do a terrible job, but didn’t move from behind the play and watching him point fair on a ball hit to right field, he had to turn his back to the ball and point with his right hand. Not sure mechanics should be with one of those shields.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Worn and used right, you can do just about everything you can do with an inside protector. MLB used them for decades and the American League used them into at least the 70s.

6 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Worn and used right, you can do just about everything you can do with an inside protector. MLB used them for decades and the American League used them into at least the 70s.

Just following you around. Jerry Neudeckeur was the last to wear the outside/shield in 1985. However, it was only taught and allowed to come into the AL until the 70's as you have proposed. They gave a grandfather clause to those who still wanted to wear the outside rather than switch over and Neudeckeur had been there quite a while.

6 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Just following you around. Jerry Neudecker was the last to wear the outside/shield in 1985. However, it was only taught and allowed to come into the AL until the 70's as you have proposed. They gave a grandfather clause to those (Haller, Neudecker/maybe a couple others) who still wanted to wear the outside rather than switch over and Neudecker had been there quite a while.

If I had to go back and do youth games, I'd use an outside protector (not an "arm shield") -- especially in the summer heat.

Then again, I'd use it correctly, as I did (more or less) when I first started.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, noumpere said:

If I had to go back and do youth games, I'd use an outside protector (not an "arm shield") -- especially in the summer heat.

Then again, I'd use it correctly, as I did (more or less) when I first started.

I think I'd use a sheet of plywood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1