Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
johnnyg08

Balk or no Balk - Team Dempster or Team Reynolds

Use rules to support your decision. Also, is it a balk by rule, but never enforced as such? Would this be an example of a ticky-tack balk? 

What about with R1, just the initial move by Shields and no throw to first balk or do we leave that alone in our local games?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

It's a balk.  The initial move was a jab step, not a disengagement.  That required F1 to throw to first.

This was discussed somewhere on this site shortly after it happened.  Didn't need to / don't want to watch the talking heads on this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, noumpere said:

It's a balk.  The initial move was a jab step, not a disengagement.  That required F1 to throw to first.

This was discussed somewhere on this site shortly after it happened.  Didn't need to / don't want to watch the talking heads on this.

So Team Reynolds? :-)

I'm with team noumpere!  I'm curious as to how/why they reversed it?  No harm no foul?  If there would have been someone thrown out on that, I'm sure it wouldn't have been reversed.   Well, I would Hope so!

At least in my area there's a well-versed myth...probably because of some of my umpire brethren have also preached it...that it is a legitimate disengage. (Although it's not) Almost a guarantee that was Renteria's argument was that "he stepped off" 

I called this a balk exactly one time in my local area and if I could go back, I wish I hadn't. Because I'm quite certain that I'm the only one calling it for whatever the reason...a little self preservation I guess. 

After all, sometimes there's a cost associated with being right. 

Shocking the ex-baserunner thinks it's a balk and the ex-pitcher says it's not. :rolleyes:

I'm on the balk side of this discussion. 

I voted balk on this one when it happened. Not a legal disengagement. Which means, and it HUSTS ME SO to say this, but I guess I'm Team Reynolds here.

Its half disengage, half jab step (another imaginary 45 degree line ... ha). I think the half jab step trumps the half disengage (balk), but pick one and sell what you've got if you have to. Sometimes, you just have to umpire.