LL

Tborze
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2089 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

8 answers to this question

Any lightning is too much lightning, clear the field and have the teams seek shelter.  Guidance in the past has generally been 30 min from the last flash.  If you see a flash, clock starts over. Yes, the red runner violation flag is still used for runners leaving their base early.

T: Federal (NOAA, not LL) Guidelines say this: See the "flash", start counting, "one one thousand, two one thousand", etc.. If you hear the "boom" by "thirty one thousand", it's not safe to be out there; get 'em off!

Having said this, think for a minute; suppose you kill a game and you didn't have to; what happens? They re-schedule the game (something they do all the time). Now, suppose you didn't kill a game, but you should have? You're talking a life-changing decision. What will you decide? Is a parent going to sit in the ER saying, "well. at least we got the inning in". ...

Thanks All!

I was asked to do a LL elim game. We had 2 lightning delays. I asked if they went by some weather app or the 30 min delay between each strike. No one could answer so we waited 30 mins for each delay. During the second delay, the VT coach who was losing and in jeopardy of losing the game because the game was official at this point, wanted the delay shortened, of course, because it was getting dark. He comes to me after 15 mins and says, "they found the rule and it states that 30 mins is only a recommendation". I told him, "Well, I'm recommending 30 mins". 

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2018 at 10:09 AM, Tborze said:

Thanks All!

I was asked to do a LL elim game. We had 2 lightning delays. I asked if they went by some weather app or the 30 min delay between each strike. No one could answer so we waited 30 mins for each delay. During the second delay, the VT coach who was losing and in jeopardy of losing the game because the game was official at this point, wanted the delay shortened, of course, because it was getting dark. He comes to me after 15 mins and says, "they found the rule and it states that 30 mins is only a recommendation". I told him, "Well, I'm recommending 30 mins". 

I'd report this asshat to anyone who will listen.   Is this jackass really willing to risk the lives of all his players because he might lose the game?

JFC

I played baseball with a guy who was killed by lightning about 25 years ago.    The entire defensive team was knocked to the ground...he never got up.   Most if not all the rules about lightning for Canadian softball and baseball were revamped (or emphasized for actual enforcement) due to that incident.

You don't F*#K with nature...she don't care how old you are, what your plans are, how nice you are.   And you can't outrun it.

• Like 1

Like the others above - 30 minutes from each strike, some even use thunder.

Recommendations are there for a reason - it might not say you have to, but if something goes wrong, then who is it on? We have a stadium that the lightning didn't actually hit the 90' poles, but struck a tree. It splintered the tree, and burned out the scoreboard 300 feet away.

Remember, most fields have metal pipes driven into the ground that you attach metal fencing to. Lightning can travel through the ground, and I have see it turn gravel to glass.

The coach was way out of line, and I agree you should bring it up to the league.

30 minutes minimum... and get the kids out of the steel fenced enclosed dugouts... have them wait in their parents vehicles, in the gym... anywhere but in the lightning rod of a dugout.

2 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

30 minutes minimum... and get the kids out of the steel fenced enclosed dugouts... have them wait in their parents vehicles, in the gym... anywhere but in the lightning rod of a dugout.

...............and have the teams seek shelter

In this day & age with all of the lawsuits....... I would suggest NOT giving any direction as to "where to wait".  If you send them "anyplace" and that place is struck....................then you'll get the old "but the umpire TOLD THEM to go there".......should something happen.  Put it back on the manager by "have your team seek shelter".