Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
johnnyg08

Appeal OBR/NCAA/FED

Batter hits a triple and is standing on third base but missed first base on his way to completing his triple. Ball remains live but action is relaxed. F1 throws the ball to F3 to appeal the missed first base but the ball gets away from F3 and R3 breaks for home but the throw from F3 is not in time. R3 is safe at home. 

F2 then throws to F3 at first base to appeal the missed base. 

Under what rule sets (Fed/NCAA/OBR) do we allow or deny the appeal and on what grounds?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
14 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Batter hits a triple and is standing on third base but missed first base on his way to completing his triple. Ball remains live but action is relaxed. F1 throws the ball to F3 to appeal the missed first base but the ball gets away from F3 and R3 breaks for home but the throw from F3 is not in time. R3 is safe at home. 

F2 then throws to F3 at first base to appeal the missed base. 

Under what rule sets (Fed/NCAA/OBR) do we allow or deny the appeal and on what grounds?

OBR:  Action relaxed do the prior play ifs over. The appeal must now be before the next pitch or play. The throw home was a play. No more appeal.  Smart move by the runner.

FED and NCAA the appeal remains viable if the offense initiated the play - which they did here by having the runner break for home.

37 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

OBR:  Action relaxed do the prior play ifs over. The appeal must now be before the next pitch or play. The throw home was a play. No more appeal.  Smart move by the runner.

FED and NCAA the appeal remains viable if the offense initiated the play - which they did here by having the runner break for home.

Note that if the ball had gone out of play, NCAA would deny a subsequent appeal, but FED would still allow it.

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

Seems pretty straightforward. What’s your twist?

No twist, but it is different among rule sets. That's important to know. Even though we'd probably be the only ones on the field who know that there are differences. 

3 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

No twist, but it is different among rule sets. That's important to know. Even though we'd probably be the only ones on the field who know that there are differences. 

NCAA does have an interesting twist that could apply to your OP. If F3 did not play on R3 he might not be able to return the ball to 1B for an appeal. 

“5) If the defensive team errs on an appeal play and the ball remains in live-ball territory, the appeal will be allowed if:
a) The ball immediately is returned to the base being appealed; and
b) No runners advance on the misplay. If a runner(s) advances, no appeal
shall be allowed.”

edited to add. And now rethinking, even if F3 played on the runner who was safe I don’t think the wording of that rule would allow an appeal. This happened in a clinic game and U3 didn’t recognize the appeal for some reason other than the rule. When I mentioned the rule at the game site nobody believed me. That evening many were surprised at the rule wording and the clinic head did not believe NCAA wanted it enforced. He said he was going to call the rules guy. We never heard what was decided. 

18 hours ago, Jimurray said:

NCAA does have an interesting twist that could apply to your OP. If F3 did not play on R3 he might not be able to return the ball to 1B for an appeal. 

“5) If the defensive team errs on an appeal play and the ball remains in live-ball territory, the appeal will be allowed if:
a) The ball immediately is returned to the base being appealed; and
b) No runners advance on the misplay. If a runner(s) advances, no appeal
shall be allowed.”

edited to add. And now rethinking, even if F3 played on the runner who was safe I don’t think the wording of that rule would allow an appeal. This happened in a clinic game and U3 didn’t recognize the appeal for some reason other than the rule. When I mentioned the rule at the game site nobody believed me. That evening many were surprised at the rule wording and the clinic head did not believe NCAA wanted it enforced. He said he was going to call the rules guy. We never heard what was decided. 

NCAA is usually very good at cleaning up the rule book. This piece was obviously added for a reason...until instructed otherwise, one would think that it should be enforced. 

7 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

NCAA is usually very good at cleaning up the rule book. This piece was obviously added for a reason...until instructed otherwise, one would think that it should be enforced. 

So no appeal allowed in your OP in NCAA. And I thought it was straightfoward. Until I recalled my clinic experience.