Coach Buckets

BlueRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2108 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This past weekend I had a game on a field with really close dugouts and backstops, but still solid 11u baseball. Only problem came later in the game in the bottom of 4, R1, 1 out, FED rules, batter smokes one to the fence, R1 scores, and BR holds up at second after the throw gets sailed past third and skips off VHC's bucket. BR doesn't move off of second, nor did he attempt to move past second, and the ball is returned to the pitcher. HHC calls time and asks, respectfully, why we didn't award BR third, to which we reply, the ball skipping a few feet off the bucket had no effect on the outcome of the play. Honestly, neither of us had any clue what we should have done, but thankfully HHC politely said he disagreed and walked away. 

Did we get this right? I couldn't find anything on this from a quick google search in between games, so any help is appreciated. 

(We did not allow buckets on the field the next game, btw)

Thanks,

LBS

7 hours ago, LoneBlueStar said:

There's your answer. No one in live ball territory during play.

And don't fall for the "We always sit out here" line...Not today, coach. . 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, noumpere said:

If the ball would have gone in the dugout, award bases.  If not; don't.

If you can't tell, penalize the team that had the buckets.

FED rules specifically allow you to penalize a team for equipment left on the field (1-3-7).  Don't take the short end of the stick, as @noumpere implies in his post.  Penalize the team that had the buckets.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I tell coaches in my plate meeting: I don't mind the bucket brigades but if a live ball comes into contact with one, it will be treated as dead ball territory and we will award based or send runners back depending on who is at bat. You WILL NOT benefit from your own buckets. 

Haven't had a ball come into contact with one in two years. Ball starts coming near and coaches grab buckets and scatter. Usually only takes one close call to get the coaches back into the dugout.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 11:34 PM, LoneBlueStar said:

This past weekend I had a game on a field with really close dugouts and backstops, but still solid 11u baseball. Only problem came later in the game in the bottom of 4, R1, 1 out, FED rules, batter smokes one to the fence, R1 scores, and BR holds up at second after the throw gets sailed past third and skips off VHC's bucket. BR doesn't move off of second, nor did he attempt to move past second, and the ball is returned to the pitcher. HHC calls time and asks, respectfully, why we didn't award BR third, to which we reply, the ball skipping a few feet off the bucket had no effect on the outcome of the play. Honestly, neither of us had any clue what we should have done, but thankfully HHC politely said he disagreed and walked away. 

Did we get this right? I couldn't find anything on this from a quick google search in between games, so any help is appreciated. 

Thanks,

LBS

In a 12U game I had a defensive coach standing outside the dugout, in play along the first base fence. He deliberately stopped a ball from rolling to the fence with his foot. I don’t think it would have gone out of play but I assumed it would have. I awarded bases accordingly. He argued. I asked him why stop the ball if it wouldn’t have gone out of play? He had no reply. He was in the dugout the rest of the game. Some coaches just don’t think haha. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Tksjewelry said:

This is what I tell coaches in my plate meeting: I don't mind the bucket brigades but if a live ball comes into contact with one, it will be treated as dead ball territory and we will award based or send runners back depending on who is at bat. You WILL NOT benefit from your own buckets. 

Haven't had a ball come into contact with one in two years. Ball starts coming near and coaches grab buckets and scatter. Usually only takes one close call to get the coaches back into the dugout.

Why not just do your job and keep the coaches and their freaking furniture where they belong in the first place?

4 minutes ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

Why not just do your job and keep the coaches and their freaking furniture where they belong in the first place?

Not going to be the THAT umpire. I'd be the only one in our city to do so and I'm not setting myself up for a needless fight.

9 hours ago, Tksjewelry said:

Not going to be the THAT umpire. I'd be the only one in our city to do so and I'm not setting myself up for a needless fight.

I am that umpire. I wasn't before and had a situation in a JUCO game this year with a bucket... never again. 

• Like 1