Dropped third strike dead ball.

Guest 22yrold coach
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2113 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest 22yrold coach

Okay situation.  Dropped third strike 1 out runners on first and second. Ball goes to backstop batter starts running towards first. Both runners advance and umpire calls batter out then says it was a dead ball bc it was a dropped third strike.

Is the ball dead? I argued it wasn't and was told by the umpire and umpire coordinator that I was wrong.

10 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Guest 22yrold coach said:

Okay situation.  Dropped third strike 1 out runners on first and second. Ball goes to backstop batter starts running towards first. Both runners advance and umpire calls batter out then says it was a dead ball bc it was a dropped third strike.

Is the ball dead? I argued it wasn't and was told by the umpire and umpire coordinator that I was wrong.

Ask the "umpires" how you could throw a batter out at 1B or have the runners advance if the ball is dead on an uncaught third strike.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

Ask the "umpires" how you could throw a batter out at 1B or have the runners advance if the ball is dead on an uncaught third strike.  :)

4 hours ago, Guest 22yrold coach said:

Seems like these umpires think that because first base is occupied not only is the batter out, but the ball is also dead.   They are wrong.  Batter is out (if less than two out).  Play is live.    Unless the pitch hit the batter on strike three.

11 hours ago, Guest 22yrold coach said:

umpire coordinator

We found Patient Zero for this local infection. I bet if we were to ask him where in the Rules it states that the ball is Dead on an Uncaught 3K, he’d reply with either “I read it on Facebook” or “Hey, I’m the guy in charge, what I say goes”... or something along those lines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2018 at 6:23 PM, Guest 22yrold coach said:

Well, the umpire got one part correct... D3K with less than 2 outs and 1st base occupied... the batter IS out... he was out as soon as he sung and missed that 3rd pitch.

As for the rest? Unless there is a local rule that runners cannot advance on a D3K, then the umpire got that part wrong.

I would just go back and fix my typo... but that would make these comments, which are funny BTW, seem odd. 

Spell check can be a good and bad thing... good when your spelling is bad, awful when you actually spell a word correctly but use the wrong word!