Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Guest 22yrold coach

Dropped third strike dead ball.

Question

Guest 22yrold coach

Okay situation.  Dropped third strike 1 out runners on first and second. Ball goes to backstop batter starts running towards first. Both runners advance and umpire calls batter out then says it was a dead ball bc it was a dropped third strike.

 

Is the ball dead? I argued it wasn't and was told by the umpire and umpire coordinator that I was wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts


Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0

Live ball, runners advance at their own risk, whatb age group or rule set?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Guest 22yrold coach said:

Okay situation.  Dropped third strike 1 out runners on first and second. Ball goes to backstop batter starts running towards first. Both runners advance and umpire calls batter out then says it was a dead ball bc it was a dropped third strike.

 

Is the ball dead? I argued it wasn't and was told by the umpire and umpire coordinator that I was wrong.

Ask the "umpires" how you could throw a batter out at 1B or have the runners advance if the ball is dead on an uncaught third strike.  :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

Ask the "umpires" how you could throw a batter out at 1B or have the runners advance if the ball is dead on an uncaught third strike.  :)

 

 

4 hours ago, Guest 22yrold coach said:

Okay situation.  Dropped third strike 1 out runners on first and second. Ball goes to backstop batter starts running towards first. Both runners advance and umpire calls batter out then says it was a dead ball bc it was a dropped third strike.

 

Is the ball dead? I argued it wasn't and was told by the umpire and umpire coordinator that I was wrong.

Seems like these umpires think that because first base is occupied not only is the batter out, but the ball is also dead.   They are wrong.  Batter is out (if less than two out).  Play is live.    Unless the pitch hit the batter on strike three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, Guest 22yrold coach said:

umpire coordinator

We found Patient Zero for this local infection. I bet if we were to ask him where in the Rules it states that the ball is Dead on an Uncaught 3K, he’d reply with either “I read it on Facebook” or “Hey, I’m the guy in charge, what I say goes”... or something along those lines.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 7/4/2018 at 6:23 PM, Guest 22yrold coach said:

Okay situation.  Dropped third strike 1 out runners on first and second. Ball goes to backstop batter starts running towards first. Both runners advance and umpire calls batter out then says it was a dead ball bc it was a dropped third strike.

 

Is the ball dead? I argued it wasn't and was told by the umpire and umpire coordinator that I was wrong.

Well, the umpire got one part correct... D3K with less than 2 outs and 1st base occupied... the batter IS out... he was out as soon as he sung and missed that 3rd pitch.

As for the rest? Unless there is a local rule that runners cannot advance on a D3K, then the umpire got that part wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

he was out as soon as he sung and missed that 3rd pitch.

 

I, too, got kicked out of choir because I was always off pitch.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
45 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I, too, got kicked out of choir because I was always off pitch.

The bigger problem is the off pitch ones who don't get kicked out.   They end up trying out for American Idol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I would just go back and fix my typo... but that would make these comments, which are funny BTW, seem odd. 

Spell check can be a good and bad thing... good when your spelling is bad, awful when you actually spell a word correctly but use the wrong word!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

The bigger problem is the off pitch ones who don't get kicked out.   They end up trying out for American Idol.

I'm busy sitting on my couch -- in training for American Idle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×