Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Gil

Intro - Left Field Umpire Podcast & Q's for Bob Davidson

Hi UEFL'ers. Over the past few days, we have been fortunate to be graced in the comments by the presence of former big leaguer Bob Davidson, a World Series umpire who retired from professional baseball in 2016 after 30 years, 3911 regular season games, and 166 major league ejections following not...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I would like Gil and the staff to help Bob not get hung out to dry and have his back on some potentially set up question, that he may not see coming or that can have a double meaning. I would also like Bob to be able to clarify on a potential question where he is trying to be rail roaded by the doctors of the English language people, who can turn anything around or right side up or down, or spin things in a totally embarrassing way to get Bob's goat so to speak. I think it would be appropriate for Bob to answer a question with a question of he needs help to further understand the context in which the question was asked.

Asking Bob about whether he thinks an umpire in a particular video handled himself appropriately in a hot verbal confrontation, and that video is about any member of the current staff or past staff or even Bob himself is about as low rent as it gets, (if) some feel he is obligated to answer this type of question or he might as well go home. Did Earl Weaver handle himself appropriately from the beginning of the balk video with Haller?

Hopefully Bob can add some insights strictly on the umpiring end with mechanics, positioning, timing, angles, judgment, situations, skirmishes and anything else he is willing to share that came up in his career, including the minor leagues, or even the umpire school(s) back in the day. Some incidences have already made the papers, but maybe Bob could add a little more that would give everyone a little extra giggle as long as he felt that extra was appropriate and in good taste and not cause horribly bad feelings to others involved. Now that he is out, of course there is no gag order and he can speak freely, but let's leave things up to him to decide, and not be disappointed if he will not go into some areas he knows about, but does not feel comfortable to this day to discuss. It is perfectly okay to pass or (no comment) on situations that just cannot be answered appropriately and he would feel uncomfortable about divulging. Silence can be golden, when needed.

• Thanks 1