Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
th3

Cather pick off at 2nd base

Recommended Posts

Looking for advice on how to better see the tag from C on a catcher throwing behind a runner on 2nd. I find that I can't really get around the throw to get a good look a the runner contacting the bag and the tag - I am often screened by the runner. Maybe I'm starting too deep? Anyone else have that issue and any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

^^^^^^^ Exactly as @noumpere advises. 

Your IP should be closer to the mound than to the edge of the infield grass. Many umpires get timid about this, with it being closer to the plate and the mound. Other umpires also think that they need to be closer to 2B to see that pickoff attempt. I'd rather be closer to the mound, and have the throw trigger and turn me, and give me a wider window from the better angle than to be right on top of 2B and have only a split second of a window to see the play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 8:12 PM, noumpere said:

It's like a "reverse steal" -- you need to move toward the H-2B line and then let the throw turn you.

Sorry for asking what's probably a dumb question... What's H-2B home 2nd base 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DontSuck1977 said:

Sorry for asking what's probably a dumb question... What's H-2B home 2nd base 

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The correct depth for the initial starting position for an MiLB umpire in "B" or "C" (in a 2-man crew) or in "C" with multiple runners (in a 3-man crew) is NOT halfway between the back edge of the mound and second base (which is what a lot of umpire believe).  Rather, it is halfway between the back edge of the mound and the grass/dirt line in the second base cutout.  This means you most definitely should be closer to the dirt of the mound than second base, itself.  Furthermore, with runners on first and third and the base umpire in "B" (in a two man crew), MiLB umpires are instructed to stand a step in front of this midpoint.

It sounds to me that the Original Poster's initial starting position is too deep (which is a problem that plagues 80%+ of amateur umpires).  If you move closer toward the mound, so that your angle for plays at second base opens up, I think you will find that your problem will largely disappear.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following up to @MadMax and @noumpere , as soon as you notice the catcher is going to throw to second you should immediately take a few hard steps to your left. It all goes back to angle/distance, and you can only get so far. Then once the throw turns you you have to get stopped and set, knowing that you got into the best position possible. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Following up to @MadMax and @noumpere , as soon as you notice the catcher is going to throw to second you should immediately take a few hard steps to your left. It all goes back to angle/distance, and you can only get so far. Then once the throw turns you you have to get stopped and set, knowing that you got into the best position possible. 

Right.  Go as far as the throw allows you to.  If the throw is the the LF side, you wont' be able to go as far AND the play is more likely to be a swipe tag, so you don't want to go to far.  IF the throw is to the RF side, you can go farther AND the play is more likely to be a tag at the base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@lawump

6 hours ago, lawump said:

The correct depth for the initial starting position for an MiLB umpire in "B" or "C" (in a 2-man crew) or in "C" with multiple runners (in a 3-man crew) is NOT halfway between the back edge of the mound and second base (which is what a lot of umpire believe).  Rather, it is halfway between the back edge of the mound and the grass/dirt line in the second base cutout.  This means you most definitely should be closer to the dirt of the mound than second base, itself.  Furthermore, with runners on first and third and the base umpire in "B" (in a two man crew), MiLB umpires are instructed to stand a step in front of this midpoint.

It sounds to me that the Original Poster's initial starting position is too deep (which is a problem that plagues 80%+ of amateur umpires).  If you move closer toward the mound, so that your angle for plays at second base opens up, I think you will find that your problem will largely disappear.

@lawump Hi, Is there a place we can grab this information. Perhaps a booklet for sale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, lawump said:

The correct depth for the initial starting position for an MiLB umpire in "B" or "C" (in a 2-man crew) or in "C" with multiple runners (in a 3-man crew) is NOT halfway between the back edge of the mound and second base (which is what a lot of umpire believe).  Rather, it is halfway between the back edge of the mound and the grass/dirt line in the second base cutout.  This means you most definitely should be closer to the dirt of the mound than second base, itself.  Furthermore, with runners on first and third and the base umpire in "B" (in a two man crew), MiLB umpires are instructed to stand a step in front of this midpoint.

It sounds to me that the Original Poster's initial starting position is too deep (which is a problem that plagues 80%+ of amateur umpires).  If you move closer toward the mound, so that your angle for plays at second base opens up, I think you will find that your problem will largely disappear.

@lawump OK, with runners on first and third in the B position,  setup an additional step toward the mound? I like that and will try to incorporate tonight. Im imagining that position giving me a better angle on both bases for pick off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DontSuck1977 said:

@lawump OK, with runners on first and third in the B position,  setup an additional step toward the mound? I like that and will try to incorporate tonight. Im imagining that position giving me a better angle on both bases for pick off. 

Absolutely!  It (1) opens up your angle for the pick-off at first base (without hurting your angle for the pick-off at third, and a pick-off at first is far more likely than a pick-off at third);  (2) Assuming that all of your other footwork is correct (i.e. you don't move toward second base on the play, and you move toward the 45-foot line after having paused to see the initial play at second base), it will put you in the perfect position to see the back-end of a double play attempt (999/1000 the call at first base is the "money" call on a DP attempt).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, DontSuck1977 said:

 I like that and will try to incorporate tonight.

How did your "incorpor(ation)" go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:37 PM, DontSuck1977 said:

@lawump

@lawump Hi, Is there a place we can grab this information. Perhaps a booklet for sale. 

The Jim Evans manual is great too.  A little more pricy but, well worth it IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×