Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
lawump

Another "OOO"??

Recommended Posts

One of the things I get as a result of (1) being the high school assignor and (2) being on the rules committee are lots of phone calls from coaches with rules questions.  I received this one yesterday. 

[Now, this coach is not a rules expert (that's why he reached out to me, after all); however, I have no doubt that this coach did NOT exaggerate this story.  Every time he has called me with a fact pattern in the past...that fact pattern has been confirmed to me by the umpires involved.  So, this coach has a long track history of being very truthful with the facts (he really does just want to know the rule).  Thankfully, his call yesterday did NOT involve my umpires.]

Score is 9-10 (HT winning).  This coach is the head coach of the VT.  It is the top of the sixth inning.  Time limit has expired.  Bases are loaded with two outs.  Batter hits a 3-RBI double to make the score 12-10, visitors now leading.  After the play is over, the on-deck batter runs out on to the field to hug and celebrate with the batter (who is now standing on second base).  The on-deck batter thought the hit won the game; he didn't realize that the HT gets their last at-bats (even though time limit has expired).  Umpires call "offensive interference".  They call the batter "out" (for the third out of the inning) and they take all of the runs of the board.  Visitors lose the game 9-10.  

I asked the coach repeatedly if the on-deck batter went on to the field during playing action.  He said, "no.  He was around the plate area so he could tell the runners (who were trying to score) whether or not to slide.  He ran out to second base after the play was over."

:bang:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Live ball still? Issue warning imo to the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, udbrky said:

Live ball still? Issue warning imo to the team.

Exactly.  NFHS rules specifically provide for this.  But, I don't know how you can take the runs off the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lawump said:

Exactly.  NFHS rules specifically provide for this.  But, I don't know how you can take the runs off the board.

I had an umpire - one with 30 years experience who was also a trainer - take runs off the board when my batter/runner made the third out, trying to stretch a double into a triple.   He was insistent that the batter making the third out ANYWHERE nullified any runs scored on the play.  Sounds like the ump in the OP is under the same cloud of LSD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, even if they did call him out, if they ruled INT, it's TOI and runs had previously scored.

 

Umpires might wanna check their hands after grabbing that end of the stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know I get annoyed when coaches complain that we 'took the bat out of their hands' and other complaining like that, but... In this situation? WOW. The umpire REALLY take the bat out of their hand. Not only to get an out here but to negate two LEGALLY obtained runs? Wow... just wow. Shocked the coach was not also asking you if based on this horrible rules decision if his subsequent ejection would be nullified when the rules committee made the correct ruling...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

You know I get annoyed when coaches complain that we 'took the bat out of their hands' and other complaining like that, but... In this situation? WOW. The umpire REALLY take the bat out of their hand. Not only to get an out here but to negate two LEGALLY obtained runs? Wow... just wow. Shocked the coach was not also asking you if based on this horrible rules decision if his subsequent ejection would be nullified when the rules committee made the correct ruling...

 

3 runs

 

 

Did the coach protest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

Shocked the coach was not also asking you if based on this horrible rules decision if his subsequent ejection would be nullified when the rules committee made the correct ruling...

Oh no no, @Mudisfun my friend, this would be explained / defended as “umpire judgement”... as in, “I judged that the ODB/ODH interfered with the play!”

”Well how did he interfere?”

”Buh-buh-Because he left his position and ran out to celebrate! We (interchangeable with “I”) have to discipline or punish that kind of behavior!”

”The play was over, was it not?”

”Yes...”

”What if he had run out to retrieve the bat from in front of the plate while the ball was in the outfield, or after the play was over?”

”Ah-well, that’s nothing! On deck hitters do that often!”

”So how is this different?”

”... ... ... buh-because he ran out there to celebrate, and it confused everybody!”

”Oh did it now. Well, did you warn him? Tell him not to do that?”

”Uh, no.”

”Did you eject him?”

”Heck no! That would involve reporting it!”

“So why did you call the Batter-Runner out?”

”Because those boys need to be taught a lesson, not to do that!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lawump said:

Score is 9-10

First red flag right there: call some friggin' strikes!

As for the "INT" call: MSU rules, sounds like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why people hate umpires. To answer your question, is this “OOO?”  Absolutely not. It’s ODMFO (Overly Dumb Mother F’ing Official.”

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

I had an umpire - one with 30 years experience who was also a trainer - take runs off the board when my batter/runner made the third out, trying to stretch a double into a triple.   He was insistent that the batter making the third out ANYWHERE nullified any runs scored on the play.  Sounds like the ump in the OP is under the same cloud of LSD.

You didn't have an umpire with 30 years experience......You had an umpire who has repeated his first year 30 times. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 7:36 PM, stkjock said:

3 runs

 

 

Did the coach protest?

Nope.  I informed him that, that is what he needed to do next time.  I'm guessing he didn't want to pay the $100 without knowing ahead of time that he was correct.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2018 at 6:39 AM, lawump said:

Nope.  I informed him that, that is what he needed to do next time.  I'm guessing he didn't want to pay the $100 without knowing ahead of time that he was correct.

Some times you have to spend money to make money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×