Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
johnnyg08

OBS at Home Plate then Malicious Contact

Recommended Posts

Are there any other FED case plays dealing with obstruction and malicious contact on a runner attempting to score at home plate other than what I've listed below? If so, please chime in w/ what you have. In this case, I'm looking for specifically things contained within the Fed Rule & Case Books. Thanks! 

 

Rule

8-4-2e1

e. initiates malicious contact;

1. Malicious contact always supersedes obstruction. Runner(s) will be awarded appropriate base(s) per umpire's judgment.

 
Case Play:
 
3.3.1 DD

R3 is advancing to home and initiates malicious contact with F2, who is standing out of the baseline. F2 does not have the ball, and there is no play at the plate. 

RULING: This is considered to be interference, and the ball is dead immediately. R3 is declared out, and because the act is malicious, R3 is also ejected from the game. Any other runners must return to the bases they last touched at the time of the interference. If the declaring of a dead-ball prevented the defense from completing an obvious double play, the umpire shall award the additional out.

3.3.1 SITUATION EE:

Upon rounding second, R1 maliciously runs into F6 who is (a) in the baseline or (b) not in the baseline.

RULING: In (a), the malicious contact supersedes the obstruction. In (a) and (b), R1 is out and is also to be ejected because of the unsportsmanlike act.

*3.3.1 SITUATION II: 

With no outs, and R2 on second base, B2 hits the ball in the gap, R2 touches and rounds third and heads for home, and initiates malicious contact with F2 a) before touching the plate, or b) after scoring. 

RULING: In (a) the ball is dead, the runner is out and ejected for malicious contact. In (b) the run counts, the ball is dead and the runner is ejected for malicious contact. In either case the batter-runner must return to the last legally acquired base at the time of the malicious contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I think you covered it. 

Just keep in mind... MC beats out OBS, so MC prior to the runner scoring, time, out, EJ, no run scores. After the plate, score the run, time, EJ, no out since the runner is no longer 'live'.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

I think you covered it. 

Just keep in mind... MC beats out OBS, so MC prior to the runner scoring, time, out, EJ, no run scores. After the plate, score the run, time, EJ, no out since the runner is no longer 'live'.

 

Except that this could also be INT, so you might get an out on another runner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There must have been some serious contact if "the runner is no longer "live":wacko:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

After the plate, score the run, time, EJ, no out since the runner is no longer 'live'.

 

Unless the MC occurs as part of a force play slide rule violation.  Then, the run does not count and that runner is "out".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lawump said:

Unless the MC occurs as part of a force play slide rule violation.  Then, the run does not count and that runner is "out".

*8.4.2 SITUATION W: The bases are loaded with (a), less than two outs, or (b), two outs. B5 hits a ground ball to F4, who throws to F2 for the force out at home. The throw pulls F2 off home plate several steps toward the first-base side. R3, seeing F2 ready to make a play on B5 at first base, touches home plate and maliciously crashes into F2.

RULING: (a) Since this is a force-play situation, R3 and B5 are declared out and no one scores. R3 will be ejected from the game. In (b), R3 will be declared out and ejected for the contact, and no run will score.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 10:00 PM, maven said:

*8.4.2 SITUATION W: The bases are loaded with (a), less than two outs, or (b), two outs. B5 hits a ground ball to F4, who throws to F2 for the force out at home. The throw pulls F2 off home plate several steps toward the first-base side. R3, seeing F2 ready to make a play on B5 at first base, touches home plate and maliciously crashes into F2.

RULING: (a) Since this is a force-play situation, R3 and B5 are declared out and no one scores. R3 will be ejected from the game. In (b), R3 will be declared out and ejected for the contact, and no run will score.

You might know the guy who got this play put in the casebook.  LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lawump said:

You might know the guy who got this play put in the casebook.  LOL

Indeed: I believe I quoted his post earlier in the thread. If you'll pardon the French, we could call it an homage. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2018 at 6:37 AM, lawump said:

You might know the guy who got this play put in the casebook.  LOL

We do? Heck... if you see him. Make sure to let us know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The following language appeared as a FED Point of Emphasis in 2014--

Contact or a collision is considered to be malicious if:

The contact is the result of intentional excessive force;

The contact occurs close to the bag or home plate or above the waist of the receiving player; or

There was intent to injure.

Malicious contact can occur without these conditions if determined by the umpire, but these provide a starting point.

 

Carl Childress stated in the 2016 edition of his BRD that this text “must rise to the level of case book interpretation.” He went on to say that at that point in time the FED had made malicious contact a POE 15 times in the last 34 years.

Also, NFHS rule 3-3-1m and the following penalty mention malicious contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×