I feel like I umpired for a kid I used to be on a team with 10 years ago

tKarma
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2089 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Sorry in advance kind of a long post ahead.

I did a tournament last weekend and a relief pitcher for an 18U team comes in around the 6th inning and he looks really familiar. I’m 24 so he would be my age. He looks exactly like a player I used to be on a team with about 10 years ago, he was always a skinnier and younger looking kid who played hard and was actually a pretty decent, polished pitcher. 

The player who I recently saw come in even had the same first name but a different last name than I remember him by on the back of his jersey. When I threw him a ball from around the first base line I realized he looks really familiar but I just couldn’t tell cause it had been ten or so years since I’ve seen him and we were never too close. We were cool and all but never really spoke much outside baseball. I just couldn’t verify if it was actually him cause he looked a little older and talked deeper than the kid I remember (which is what I would expect from a ten year age progression) just couldn’t say for sure though. 

He was a lot more polished than the pitchers who were in the game before him, (from both teams). Mechanics, delivery, pitch speed & location etc. I just find it odd he looks exactly alike the kid I used to play ball with, and even has the first name. And has a noticeable amount of skill over his teammates and players from the other team. I only saw him pitch, it was later in the game and close to the time limit so his team didn’t come up to bat again. I believe they’re coming back for a tournament next week  and I was wondering what should I do? I don’t want to bring it up and them to investigate it only to come up as a coincidence and then I look weird for the 5 days of the tournament that they are coming to. But if if he’s pitching 6 years above the age limit that would call for a forfeit and maybe more penalty from the tournament directors. I just don’t know for sure but I’m going to keep an eye out, thanks. 

Ignore it.  I've always been taught that umpires should only care about what happens between the foul lines. Administrative concerns should be left for the league administrators (or tournament directors) to deal with. 

Travel-Ball-Parents-I-am-12.jpg

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Ruben said:

Ignore it.  I've always been taught that umpires should only care about what happens between the foul lines. Administrative concerns should be left for the league administrators (or tournament directors) to deal with. 

Travel-Ball-Parents-I-am-12.jpg

YOU WIN

32 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

You know... it is possible that he had a little brother...

With the same first names? Who are they, the Foremans?

I agree with Ruben. Ignore it. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Richvee said:

With the same first names? Who are they, the Foremans?

I agree with Ruben. Ignore it. 

Alexander Hamilton and his wife had two sons named Phillip.

The elder Phillip died in 1801 in a duel on the same site his father did. The younger was born in 1802 and lived until 1884.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2018 at 2:20 PM, Kevin_K said:

Alexander Hamilton and his wife had two sons named Phillip.

The elder Phillip died in 1801 in a duel on the same site his father did. The younger was born in 1802 and lived until 1884.

Somebody ought to make a musical out of that!