Baserunner passes another

Guest David
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2118 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest David

Little league scenario: 

2 outs, runner on second. Batter hits a home run. His teammates come out to celebrate at the plate. You can imagine what happens next. R2 joins the celebration without stepping on the plate. The batter/runner arrives home and hits plate. I call the BR out for passing the other runner. No runs score. My question is: If there had been less than two outs, would they BOTH be out; the batter for passing another and R2 for attempting to tag home after a following runner scores (LL rule 7.10(b)? Thank God in my case I did not have to make that call as there were two outs already....

6 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Guest David said:

Little league scenario: 

2 outs, runner on second. Batter hits a home run. His teammates come out to celebrate at the plate. You can imagine what happens next. R2 joins the celebration without stepping on the plate. The batter/runner arrives home and hits plate. I call the BR out for passing the other runner. No runs score. My question is: If there had been less than two outs, would they BOTH be out; the batter for passing another and R2 for attempting to tag home after a following runner scores (LL rule 7.10(b)? Thank God in my case I did not have to make that call as there were two outs already....

I don't think you are ever going to get two outs on this.

You could get 1 out for abandonment -- and then there is no passing.

Or, you could get an out for passing, and then R2 is going to touch the plate.

But, if R2 makes it anywhere near the plate, I'm treating it as a missed base and waiting for an appeal.

And, if the umpire can work to keep the team back, this is less likely to happen.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, johnpatrick said:

This would not be passing the runner.  The runner would be subject to be called out on appeal.  He could not fix his mistake after the following runner touches the plate.

As I read it, R2 stopped short of HP to celebrate, BR passed and "touched" HP. If so, BR is out before he scores.

It's late, I can't sleep, so I'm gonna respond. 

With 2 outs, If R2 passed the plate you now have a possible appeal play. Score 2. If appealed, no runs score.  If R2 stopped short and the BR passed him he is the 3rd out, no runs score.  With less than 2 outs, if R2 passed the plate, score one, R2 out if appealed.  If not, score 2. If appealed, score 1. If R2 stopped short of the plate, BR out for passing the ball is still live. If R2 touches plate, score 1. If R2 doesn't touch and appealed, no runs score.  I'm going to bed-_-