Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
scrounge

What do you think? OBS in FED or NCAA?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I have him having access until the foot comes all the way down... I've got an out call. 

Even if this is technically OBS in FED or NCAA, it's very difficult to get in real time AND I'm not convinced it's what the "game" wants.  The runner was going to slide anyway, and the contact with the foot (which is when the hindrance happened) was after F6 had the ball.

• Like 1

Agree. If it appears to maybe, possibly be OBS only in super slo-mo, that's nothing. Live longer: make OBS/INT big.

I made the OBS call in a HS game once on a pickoff at 1B. The timing was about the same (maybe slightly bigger gap between slide and tag). I wish I hadn't.

On 6/29/2018 at 1:26 PM, maven said:

Agree. If it appears to maybe, possibly be OBS only in super slo-mo, that's nothing. Live longer: make OBS/INT big.

I made the OBS call in a HS game once on a pickoff at 1B. The timing was about the same (maybe slightly bigger gap between slide and tag). I wish I hadn't.

I’m thinking the opposite. To me, it appears to maybe, possibly NOT be OBS only in super slo-mo. 

Live with no benefit of replay I think it would be really hard to not have either safe (as Davis had originally) or obstruction. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By jms1425
      Stumbled across this video that was posted 11 years ago (YouTube is that old??).... My initial thought was that F1 is no longer protected after the ball hit him and bounced away by more than "a step and a reach", thus this would be obstruction on F1, so BR gets 1st.
      Thoughts?

• By MTUmp109
      Tonight I had R2 going to third on a hit ball. R2 slides into 3rd.. As the 3rd base man fakes a tag. 3rd base did not have the ball. But in my opinion R2 was going to slide anyways because his coach was yelling down down down.. BUT Little League Definition of Obstruction is :
      “OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball, impedes the progress of any runner. A fake tag is considered obstruction. (NOTE: Obstruction shall be called on a defensive player who blocks off a base, base line or home plate from a base runner while not in possession of the ball.)”
      SO should I have called it and gave him home plate?
    • By aaluck
      This is one rule I have always struggled with and it occurred again last night......  
      B1 hits the ball to the F6. F6 fields the ball and throws it to F3 in a manner that causes F3 to extend into the baseline and contact the runner (a) BEFORE F3 has possession of the ball, or (b) after the ball has already passed F3 (missed scoop, etc) or (c) F3 is attempting to run to the fence to retrieve the errant throw.  In both (a) and (b) runner has stayed in his 45' lane and the contact has occurred in the 45' lane.  In (c) both F3 and B1 are in the infield, past first base, runner turning toward second, F3 running toward foul territory. Now, I have always allowed contact that occurs if the ball arrives to the 1st baseman right (very close) to the time of the contact (collision last night) as he is "making a play on the ball". 
      Could someone please cover (a), (b) and (c) above?
      Thanks again guys.
    • By scrounge
      R3, outs don't matter (I think - in any case, there were 0 outs in this case).
      Batter hits a dribbler to the pitcher that starts to die in the long grass, but it's clearly the pitcher's ball. Catcher steps forward right behind runner, who wasn't too fast, and they're both running parallel. About 1/3 of the way up the line, a couple meters beyond the batters' box, the catcher takes a right turn to back up the throw to 1B and just runs over the b/r (not maliciously, just a big ole tangle). By this time, pitcher has the ball, I loudly yell "Obstruction", they throw to 1B, and we put the b/r on 1B. They didn't look back the runner, so R3 easily made it to home about the time they threw to 1B.
      So coach wanted R3 to return. I did pause a few seconds to think it through, but as I reasoned it out on the spot, since OBS is delayed dead ball, the runner is live and it was analogous to a fielder's choice, they could have tried on him but they didn't (understandably), they threw to 1B. But the B/R was awarded 1B on the obstruction so no out. And it wasn't 2 outs anyway so even if they got the out, R3 was scoring. Now, with the books packed somewhere, I'm slightly second-guessing.
      Was it right to score the run? Would it have mattered if there were 2 outs.
    • By Gfoley4
      http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/04/13/1280785983/1492115906494/asset_2500K.mp4
      Your browser does not support iframes.