No call or Out

Airborne
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2121 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

26 yrs and never had this happen, R1 on 2nd, 2 and 2 count on B1, strike three in the dirt that batter swings at. I hammer the strike and then give the safe signal. Batter thinks it's strike 2 because the board had a 3-1 count. Ball is blocked by catcher and shoots up first base line. Catcher gets the ball and proceeded toward the batter and I thought he would tag him,but last minute turns and throws it back to the pitcher. The runner on second stayed there. The batter returned to the box and the catcher squatted behind him. I was still up the line about 6 feet with my mask tucked under my left arm. The boys were ready to resume play but I have a live ball and strike three. 
What would you do at this point?
If you call time to explain the situation to either coach, then you can't let the batter run. 
This may be the only time that I've used the old umpire makes decision on play not addressed.

23 answers to this question

Do exactly what you did, and casually mention that it's strike three. You'll probably have to explain to one or both coaches after the players figure out what they need to do, and your explanation needs to be that the participants are responsible for knowing the situation. This will go over much better if (I hope) you announced the count as 3-2 before that pitch.

9 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Good point -- especially do this if the scoreboard is wrong.

Someone gave me some very good advice when I was starting out: announce the count whenever the next pitch could change the batter's status.

The truth is that not very many people are paying attention to me when I do it anyway, but it really helps me prepare for potential situations.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CJK said:

Someone gave me some very good advice when I was starting out: announce the count whenever the next pitch could change the batter's status.

The truth is that not very many people are paying attention to me when I do it anyway, but it really helps me prepare for potential situations.

I do it if we get to 2 anything. A 1-2 count is much different than a 2-1 count and I've found that players can't remember what the last pitch was, let alone the two prior.

wouldn't the level of play dictate to some degree how one would handle it?

obviously a Varsity HS game or higher will be treated differently than a 10U game first time playing open bases..............  

55 minutes ago, Airborne said:

26 yrs and never had this happen, R1 on 2nd, 2 and 2 count on B1, strike three in the dirt that batter swings at. I hammer the strike and then give the safe signal. Batter thinks it's strike 2 because the board had a 3-1 count. Ball is blocked by catcher and shoots up first base line. Catcher gets the ball and proceeded toward the batter and I thought he would tag him,but last minute turns and throws it back to the pitcher. The runner on second stayed there. The batter returned to the box and the catcher squatted behind him. I was still up the line about 6 feet with my mask tucked under my left arm. The boys were ready to resume play but I have a live ball and strike three. 
What would you do at this point?
If you call time to explain the situation to either coach, then you can't let the batter run. 
This may be the only time that I've used the old umpire makes decision on play not addressed.

You list yourself as belonging to a Legion group.

Was this a Legion game?  15-19.

If it was a Legion game I'd bet a substantial amount that because both teams, their coaches, and the fans all thought it was 3-1 that it really was 3-1.

19 minutes ago, stkjock said:

wouldn't the level of play dictate to some degree how one would handle it?

obviously a Varsity HS game or higher will be treated differently than a 10U game first time playing open bases..............  

not in this instance -- although you might have to explain more than "that was strike three" -- like "the batter can run" or something.

I'm aware of that. 
I've also had the scoreboard be incorrect in college postseason. I've had numerous times where a batter or catcher have asked me the count right after I've given it. 

Ditto. This is not level dependent in my experience.
  • Like 2

Try to give the count before the pitch when the scoreboard is wrong.  You may have to do that for a pitch or two until they correct it.  If the person controlling the board is behind you, hold up the count above your head where they can see it.  As to the play itself, the ball is live and the batter hasn't given up by leaving the dirt circle.  I think standing off to the side like you did and waiting is the best thing to do here.  Eventually someone is going to take the hint that something isn't right.  Hopefully a coach asks "What's the count?" and you can answer "That was strike three."  Eventually though, and I caution against this unless it's taken FAR too long, I would call the batter out for failing to attempt to reach first base.

I had a play last year where a balk was called and the ball was put in play.  F3 came close to touching 1B with the ball but never did, and the batter didn't run.  My partner never signaled an out, and I stood a few feet up the first base line with my mask off.  No one was moving, and I eventually asked him if he called an out.  He said no.  That was enough to make a play happen so we could get an outcome and move the game along.

14 hours ago, UmpCast_Wes said:

Try to give the count before the pitch when the scoreboard is wrong.  You may have to do that for a pitch or two until they correct it. 

Turn around, look at them, and signal the correct count.  

Seen it done that way in the pros several times.

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

When the count gets to 1-2 you're not announcing that on the next six consecutive foul balls, are you?

No, but I will after 3 or 4 fouls, or a couple pick off moves in a row.   Anytime it's been a while between pitches or count changes. 

4 hours ago, Richvee said:

No, but I will after 3 or 4 fouls, or a couple pick off moves in a row.   Anytime it's been a while between pitches or count changes. 

Yeah, that's what I've seen...especially something like 1-2, four foul balls, then a called ball..."2 and 2".

On 6/28/2018 at 9:13 AM, beerguy55 said:

When the count gets to 1-2 you're not announcing that on the next six consecutive foul balls, are you?

Personally, I always give the count before putting the ball into play (unless it's a new batter) anyway. So, yes.

After about the third one I might phrase it as "still 1-2".

I give the count on any steal, or other non-pitching play which distracts people from the battery. I give the count on 1-2 or 2-1 and then 3-2... If there are several fouls I'll tell the batter and F2 still 1-2 or still 3-2 or whatever so they are in the know. If there were several pick off attempts in a row I'll normally announce the count just to remind everyone where we are.

As for your play... stand and observe... after that 5 minutes passes (30 seconds in real time) then maybe 'that was strike 3' or something like that to get the players moving.

And as for level of play... I have players at all levels asking the count... They are focused on hitting and not counting to 3 :cool:

• Like 2