Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
MadMax

Foul Tip vs. Foul "Trap"

Russell Martin's nifty foul tip catch yesterday (06/26/2018) was a textbook example of a caught foul tip.

062618_gif_martin_catch_med.gif

Notice the key elements: 1) Sharp and direct to the mitt (or it could have been his throwing hand) first, 2) didn't touch the umpire, batter, or ground, 3) re-caught and secured.

Since this is a foul tip, the ball would remain Live. This being strike three, the batter would be (and was) Out.

Here's an extreme other example to compare and contrast against, again involving Russell Martin –

Notice that the ball goes directly to the mask first. It is inconsequential that the ball was stuck in the eye port (just to defeat the idea that it is "detached equipment" or a "lodged ball") because as soon as it touches the mask, it is Foul (or, thus, Dead). It is also irrelevant had Martin been able to keep the mask from hitting the ground, as again, once the batted ball hits the mask (or his shinguard, or his CP, etc.) it is Foul... unless it hits the mitt or his throwing hand first. 

So any batted ball that hits the catcher other than his mitt or hand first is Foul immediately... regardless if it subsequently trapped or caught.

However, for the sake of discussion, and because I'm curious... had the ball hit Martin's mitt first and then lodged in Martin's mask... what then?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
9 hours ago, MadMax said:

However, for the sake of discussion, and because I'm curious... had the ball hit Martin's mitt first and then lodged in Martin's mask... what then?

Foul ball. A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket or any other part of his uniform in getting possession.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:12 PM, MadMax said:

So any batted ball that hits the catcher other than his mitt or hand first is Foul immediately... regardless if it subsequently trapped or caught.

I'm sure that you mean "any batted ball that's hit sharp and direct"...because otherwise, that phrase is totally false.

Wait... I thought that a foul too was what happens when we get hit and the bat only nips the ball as it goes by? :rollinglaugh: