Tragic murder of one of our own

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2124 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Dave Rosa was a first year umpire in our association here in Orange County.  I was fortunate to be assigned as his mentor so I was able to get to know him better than I would have otherwise.  I went out and observed him twice during the season and was able to spend time with him giving feedback, taking his phone calls and texts when he had questions and having a beer with him during our social events after meetings.  I can honestly say that he was one of the good guys.  Humble to the core and one of the nicest people you would ever meet.  His son played freshman baseball and he was watching one of our other umpires (another one that I mentored over the last two years) during his son's game and he noticed that he was struggling physically.  That umpire was sick with the stomach flu but did the game anyway and Dave walked with him to the parking lot to make sure he was okay.  If you knew Dave, you wouldn't be surprised.

Last night, Dave was on Duty as a Long Beach Fire Captain and responded to a call at a senior housing facility that there was a fire and an explosion.  When he arrived, he was first through the door and he was ambushed and shot by the resident that started the fire in his apartment.  There is no motive known at this time, but it's clear that this was a case of premeditated murder.  Dave died later at a local hospital.  A true hero that lost his life in the line of duty.

Dave was a really good umpire, especially for his first year in HS.  He soaked up every speck of feedback that I gave him and was always looking to improve.  He's exactly the kind of person that any association hopes to attract when seeking new members.  Please join me in praying for his family during this impossibly difficult time.

http://ktla.com/2018/06/25/officials-id-long-beach-firefighter-killed-in-the-line-of-duty-as-father-of-2-department-veteran/

• Sad 3

11 hours ago, stkjock said:

That’s horrible. RIP Dave

Usually I hear that word associated with umpires and think the user doesn't really know what the word means.  In this case, it's apt.

I pray that blessings of comfort and peace abound for those who loved Dave and those whom Dave loved.

13 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Dave Rosa was a first year umpire in our association here in Orange County.  I was fortunate to be assigned as his mentor so I was able to get to know him better than I would have otherwise.  I went out and observed him twice during the season and was able to spend time with him giving feedback, taking his phone calls and texts when he had questions and having a beer with him during our social events after meetings.  I can honestly say that he was one of the good guys.  Humble to the core and one of the nicest people you would ever meet.  His son played freshman baseball and he was watching one of our other umpires (another one that I mentored over the last two years) during his son's game and he noticed that he was struggling physically.  That umpire was sick with the stomach flu but did the game anyway and Dave walked with him to the parking lot to make sure he was okay.  If you knew Dave, you wouldn't be surprised.

Last night, Dave was on Duty as a Long Beach Fire Captain and responded to a call at a senior housing facility that there was a fire and an explosion.  When he arrived, he was first through the door and he was ambushed and shot by the resident that started the fire in his apartment.  There is no motive known at this time, but it's clear that this was a case of premeditated murder.  Dave died later at a local hospital.  A true hero that lost his life in the line of duty.

Dave was a really good umpire, especially for his first year in HS.  He soaked up every speck of feedback that I gave him and was always looking to improve.  He's exactly the kind of person that any association hopes to attract when seeking new members.  Please join me in praying for his family during this impossibly difficult time.

http://ktla.com/2018/06/25/officials-id-long-beach-firefighter-killed-in-the-line-of-duty-as-father-of-2-department-veteran/

Steve - I ran into some of our brothers and sisters last night at the D62 Allstar game... The number of people who this man touched in only one year in our association truly showed the person he was. Jennifer was openly crying in the parking lot; she sat next to him for most of the rookie class sessions. I am sorry that I did not have the opportunity to get to know him very well. I was shocked when hearing about it... as I am sure all of us were.

RIP brother.

• Like 2