Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I'm a Young umpire and I am thinking about going to pro-school when I'm older. My buddy who went said to wait until I'm 25 or out of college. What do you guys recommend?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I'd say your buddy gave you some sound advise. Keep umpiring, go to a clinic or two or three that fit your schedule, get the college education, then umpire school. From what I've read from others, college grads are looked on favorably when the umpire schools choose their students for advancement.

• Like 1

Your buddy has wise insight.

Yes, while the threshold age of umpires making the step from AAA to The Show is getting lower and lower, the time (and workload) spent in the Minor Leagues has become more intense and compressed. There are no guarantees you will make The Show, much less the next rung up the ladder. As @Richvee said, the admin and instructors want to see guys who not only have talent and aptitude to umpire, but also stability, poise, composure, work ethic... and have something to fall back on – which means, get a degree (or certification, or associate’s degree, etc.).

Put several life/career pieces together before you invest – your time and money – into this endeavor.

I’ve got several “junior” umpires who have attended School, only to have School say, “You’re good, just come back next year”, while I have other “junior” umpires who are chomping at the bit to go to School, but we’ve been tempering them with advice and guidance to wait, get something established, get some (top-notch) experience, and then apply and approach School at age 23–25 with a solid, yet adaptable, plan in place.

• Like 1

Just don't wait too long on that back end, the stats show.

Carlos Torres is the only full time to make the roster starting in their 30's, and he was exactly 30 and needed to move fast which he did, since the 70's with Durwood Merrill and a couple others who also had to move up quickly back then. 

IMHO they like to see you qualify for the pension after 20 years, which is kinda tuff to do if you get in at 45-50, not knowing how long your health will hold up as you age. Also, Cuzzi was a special situation.

25 seems a little old IMO. I know they don't necessarily like the 18 year old kids as much as college graduates, but I'd say you're better off getting in at 20 or 21 than 26 or 27. 

I'd say 22-25 is the prime age. But every person is different and everyone matures at different levels. 25 is definitely not too old. 

As @HuskerUmp22 can verify, I sent an 18y/o, mature for his age, but didn't want to go to college. His back up plan fell into the family business, went to OUTS, and is currently working in the North Woods League.  He will be returning for his 2nd year in January (back to HW) and for his shot at PBUC.