Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Jimurray

Where is the arrow pointing?

Just started watching my DVRd TT Fla CWS game. Nice to see common sense was being applied with Florida pitcher Brady Singer’s windup. 

869DAC4A-A350-475E-AC72-77CB5C9F2CD8.jpeg

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

Its generally facing the 45' line.

Close enough for me but what about this guy?

Stance.jpg

Both look illegal to me, although the first one could use another angle to be definitive.  His feet look parallel to the rubber though, which is a pretty good indication.  Seemed like NCAA really wanted this called the last couple years, but maybe their mindset is the CWS is not the time to go after it...

2 hours ago, zoops said:

Both look illegal to me, although the first one could use another angle to be definitive.  His feet look parallel to the rubber though, which is a pretty good indication.  Seemed like NCAA really wanted this called the last couple years, but maybe their mindset is the CWS is not the time to go after it...

Which makes us look like the assholes when we call it during the season.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, grayhawk said:

No doubt about it.  I think it's a silly point of emphasis but I know that doesn't matter.  

18 hours ago, grayhawk said:

I don't think so myself - as a coach, if given the choice, I would rather see something called all year and ignored in the playoffs, than the reverse.  And it is typically the reverse is what I experience. I'm typically less worried about the standards being higher before than now...I'd rather adjust in the first five games than the last, and I appreciate the umps adhering to the higher emphasis early on.

"Blue, we were called for this twice in March, and we adjusted - why isn't it being called now?"

VS

"Blue, I haven't seen a single crew call this on my team, or any team we've played, all year, and now it's 'something'?"

In my experience I've had the second conversation far more often than the first - in one case in the National Championships.  It's a far less pleasant conversation.  The first conversation is really about setting expectations, and than just accepting it.  The second is going to require an adjustment.  And also in my experience the likelihood of the second conversation happening is directly related to whether or not the ump knows he's being evaluated.

On 6/19/2018 at 5:00 PM, grayhawk said:

For the WIN!!!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 12:02 PM, zoops said:

Both look illegal to me, although the first one could use another angle to be definitive.  His feet look parallel to the rubber though, which is a pretty good indication.

NCAA doesn't care about the feet. They care more about the shoulders and upper body.

I wish NFHS would go to this way of thinking. I feel it would be much easier.

• Like 1

My judgement to the shoulder position is:  If I can read the script all the way across his chest, he's good.  If something is chopped off, I tell the catcher to go tell his pitcher to straighten up towards me so I don't have to call it.  In the OP, I agree in the frustrations.  We've been told how many times in how many videos (including the test!) to call this, and then on the biggest stage of college baseball it is ignored.