Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest Jason-Dallas

Glove Knocked Off - Detached Equipment?

Question

Guest Jason-Dallas

My son was playing a USSSA 12U tournament this weekend.  Man on first base.  Line drive at the pitcher which knocks his glove off.  The ball came at him at about 65mph and continued about 30mph toward the shortstop who bobbles the ball and doesn't make a play at first.  After the play was over, the umpire comes out and calls detached equipment and gives everyone 3 bases.  

Is this right?  I didn't think this was what the detached equipment rule was for at all.  Also, I don't believe the glove was actually detached when the pitcher was touching the ball, but it was on its way to being knocked off.

I have a video of the whole thing with a slow motion version at the end.  The umpire came over later in the game when a mom asked him about it and he said it was like the unicorn to umpires, it never happens.  He said he first made this call earlier this month after 18 years of never seeing a detached equipment play.  Then he said this was the 2nd time he's seen it this month and that he should buy a lottery ticket.

15 answers to this question

It's the wrong call. The umpire interpreted the rule wrong, we all make those mistakes at least once.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

The detached equipment award is for when a fielder "deliberately" throws/uses detached equipment to touch the ball.  The word "deliberately" is used every time the detached equipment or thrown glove violation is mentioned.

F1 in this video clearly did not "deliberately" throw or use detached equipment.  Play on.

• Like 1

At least U1 was in a good HOK position prior to the pitch so he was ready to react to whatever may have happened.

image.png.89d14e3612750318af404273528a84a3.png

I guess the unicorn sighting struck him deaf and dumb so he was unable to correct his partners obvious misapplication of the rules.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

At least U1 was in a good HOK position prior to the pitch so he was ready to react to whatever may have happened.

image.png.89d14e3612750318af404273528a84a3.png

I guess the unicorn sighting struck him deaf and dumb so he was unable to correct his partners obvious misapplication of the rules.

that's very common for USSSA tournaments in my neck of the woods. 

• Sad 2

I wouldn't buy that ticket yet since the line drive knocked the glove off.   I would say to know the rules.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Guest Jason-Dallas said:

USSSA 12U tournament this weekend.  [description of play]

Is this right?  I didn't think this was what the detached equipment rule was for at all.

[VIDEO HERE]

Some bits after watching the video, none of which refute the consensus that the PU got this ruling wrong (which everyone has pointed out in other responses).

1. The BU is in a crappy position. With R1, he should be in B. So why is he in C, and deep at that? Laziness or ignorance.
  2. PU has a pathetic way of calling Time. Arms lazily out, cruciform -style, and can't hear him? Yeah, way to take your job seriously, dude.
  3. PU also awards bases out of sequence. Umpires should always award bases starting with the runner closest to the plate, then work back to the BR. If a Runner is to stay, then the Umpire should indicate that the Runner is to be placed (still) at that base. That limp-wristed pointing of where Runners are to go by the PU in the video is pathetic.

This PU did not "find a unicorn". He dressed up an old, sway-backed cart-horse with a broom handle taped to its forehead and claimed it was a unicorn.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigRed said:

It's the wrong call. The umpire interpreted the rule wrong, we all make those mistakes at least once.

Judgment calls we can get wrong.

Rules ignorance is arrogance. We all don't make "those mistakes." 

• Like 3

poor umpiring like this is why you walk on the field and you can tell the coaches don't like you immediately and the game hasn't even started.  Pre-paved idiocy causes this ....just like this play and ruling! :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MadMax said:

Some bits after watching the video, none of which refute the consensus that the PU got this ruling wrong (which everyone has pointed out in other responses).

1. The BU is in a crappy position. With R1, he should be in B. So why is he in C, and deep at that? Laziness or ignorance.
  2. PU has a pathetic way of calling Time. Arms lazily out, cruciform -style, and can't hear him? Yeah, way to take your job seriously, dude.
  3. PU also awards bases out of sequence. Umpires should always award bases starting with the runner closest to the plate, then work back to the BR. If a Runner is to stay, then the Umpire should indicate that the Runner is to be placed (still) at that base. That limp-wristed pointing of where Runners are to go by the PU in the video is pathetic.

This PU did not "find a unicorn". He dressed up an old, sway-backed cart-horse with a broom handle taped to its forehead and claimed it was a unicorn.

4. PU didn't watch R1 touch 3rd nor did BU watch BR touch 2nd. I would normally say bad things happen when we don't do our job, but the bad thing already did happen.

• Thanks 1

Wow! That was actually painful to watch. I wonder if these umps can wear white socks, BU puts on a ball bag with a brush to sweep the bases, and why they are at it turn their bill caps around backwards.

I respect every umpire on this site, and I have a general respect for most umps with regard to the job they have to do, and that they keep doing it.

But, some of the responses here seem to indicate surprise at the behavior, laziness, lack of attention to detail, non-professionalism, etc, displayed by the umpires in this video.   Give me ten minutes I'll post another 100 videos just like it  (and, yeah, I know...nobody posts the youtube videos where the ump did his job admirably)

I'm not going to say the umps in the video represent the vast majority.   But I will say that the umps on this site are on the uncommon side of the equation.  How many umpires are out there, and how many are members here, or sites like here?   Umpires (and coaches) come to sites like this because they WANT to learn and get better...and their search for information, for ways to improve, brings them to a site like this.

Umpires aren't using sites like this either because they aren't interested in learning, or don't think they have anything to gain....they know it all already  (I don't buy the lack of time argument).   They won't find sites like this if they're not looking for ways to improve.  They will if they are.   It literally took me 60 seconds to find this site, as a result of wanting to validate a certain rule during a google search, determine its value/potential, and register for it.

In my travels as a coach, in five provinces, five states, and hundreds of games I have come to the conclusion that I am more likely to run into the umps in the video above (or ones like them) than I am to run into umps from this forum (or ones like them).

And that's the perception you as umpires are dealing with every time you show up for a game....even though reality of the quality of most umps sits somewhere in the middle.   

You have an uphill battle, and are already behind the eight ball before the first pitch is thrown.

Those guys could be two of a hundred umpires whose posts I’ve read on Facebook. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought his initial signal was "no catch" and after the play ends, he awarded the bases.

I didn't like that he started with BR on the award. Isn't it best to start with the lead?

But yeah, that's nothing, he didn't throw his glove.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.