Batter turning at first base

Guest Tim McAdams
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2111 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Tim McAdams

If the batter hits the ball and is safe at first and doesn’t turn but veers into the field of play and then is tagged, is he out?

5 answers to this question

Simply turning to the left is not sufficient to be called out if tagged. The runner needs to make an attempt..could be a step, deke, etc. towards 2B. "Veers" is a vague term. Could be interpreted as "rounding 1B", that would indeed be an attempt towards 2B.

now, lets take into consideration the level of "judgment".  Would I trust most of the guys on this site to make the correct call, probably.  Would I trust the umpire in a previous 7U post to understand what intent means.  Absotively posolutley no.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

now, lets take into consideration the level of "judgment".  Would I trust most of the guys on this site to make the correct call, probably.  Would I trust the umpire in a previous 7U post to understand what intent means.  Absotively posolutley no.

It's the umps (and frankly, coachs/players/parents) that don't think it's a judgment call at all and that intent doesn't matter - and hold to the belief that simply rotating left puts you at peril - that worry me.

30 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

It's the umps (and frankly, coachs/players/parents) that don't think it's a judgment call at all and that intent doesn't matter - and hold to the belief that simply rotating left puts you at peril - that worry me.

Man, I'm still bitter about the dude that called me out for simply turning slowly left 40 yrs ago when I was a kid!

• Like 1