Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wrigleydog

runners interference

Question

Guest Wrigleydog

Runners on 1st and 2nd. Ground ball hit to second baseman. Fielder charges cleanly fields and throws runner out at first. Makes no attempt at runner going to second, nor is there anyone covering 2b. Runner slows and goes behind fielder and is past him at time Ball is being fielded. Man on 2nd goes to third. Batter was out at first. Field umpire calls time after play and talks to plate umpire (2 man crew in 9u) then calls baserunner going to second out as well for RI. I call time and tell them I’m not gonna argue the RI (even though it was a terrible call) but I disagreed with allowing the play to continue if he had RI. (No dp break up and they both agreed) Please tell me what should have happened here. I told him the batter should Get first and my guy on third should go back to second. What we really should have had was an out at 1st, runner on 2nd and 3rd, but that’s a different argument. 

5 answers to this question

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Don't argue. 

Protest the game. Misapplication of the rules.

Guest Wrigleydog

I actually went to the umpires tent the next morning and discussed this with the UIC, the field ump and 6 other umps that were hanging around. They all told me I was wrong and that it’s a live play yet refused to show me in the rule book sitting right in front of him. Mistakes happen and we are always learning but I thought that was pretty unprofessional. He promised to email me later “one his own time”. Doubt I ever see that but I see him at the local tourneys so I’ll be sure to remind him ;)

OBR Rule 6.01(a)(10)

(10) He fails to avoid a fielder who is attempting to field a batted ball, or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball, provided that if two or more fielders attempt to field a batted ball, and the runner comes in contact with one or more of them, the umpire shall determine which fielder is entitled to the benefit of this rule, and shall not declare the runner out for coming in contact with a fielder other than the one the umpire determines to be entitled to field such a ball. The umpire shall call the runner out in accordance with Rule 5.09(b)(3) (former Rule 7.08(b)). If the batter-runner is adjudged not to have hindered a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball, and if the base runner’s interference is adjudged not to be intentional, the batter-runner shall be awarded first base;

If they had judged intent on R1 to interfere, then the DP call would have been correct,

(6) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner (see Rule 6.01(j));

in that case, they should have killed the play.

From your description, seems they mixed the rules together to some degree. 

The chances of a 9U player "willfully and deliberately interfering with the obvious intent to break up a DP" are less than zero.

Slightly more likely is that they (over-)applied the FED rule.

More likely is that they need to spend more time here.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this