Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
johnnyg08

Great Call at the Plate. Excellent Mechanics

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Adam Dowdy.  He worked several hundred MLB games as a call-up umpire.  He also happened to be the lead instructor for plays at the plate and being a 360 degree umpire at the Black and Blue Umpire 3-man Camp last year in Riverside, CA.  Dude is a straight up badass.  And a super nice guy to boot.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ref4e
      Posted this on Ask the Umpire first, then saw the mechanics thread.   (Sorry...newbie to the forum)

Couple of plate work questions:

Question 1:
      How do you handle the situation with a tall catcher and short batter?    If I set up with my eyes at the top of the strike zone, I'm losing the outside corner because the catcher's head is in the way; and if I set up with my chin no lower than the top of catcher's head, I can see the outside corner, but am well above the top of the strike zone.   

Question 2:
      How do you handle a catcher who slides over to the inside corner when a batter is already crowding the plate?    When this happens, it takes my slot away.    I've been told to set up higher, but when I do that I can't see the catcher glove the ball, meaning I'm guessing on pitches low in the zone.

I'm working middle school and high school baseball and softball.
    • By ref4e
      Couple of plate work questions:

Question 1:
      How do you handle the situation with a tall catcher and short batter?    If I set up with my eyes at the top of the strike zone, I'm losing the outside corner because the catcher's head is in the way; and if I set up with my chin no lower than the top of catcher's head, I can see the outside corner, but am well above the top of the strike zone.   

Question 2:
      How do you handle a catcher who slides over to the inside corner when a batter is already crowding the plate?    When this happens, it takes my slot away.    I've been told to set up higher, but when I do that I can't see the catcher glove the ball, meaning I'm guessing on pitches low in the zone.

I'm working middle school and high school baseball and softball.

• By Thunderheads
      ..........I was NOT actually ......

I was NOT tracking the ball ALL THE WAY into the mitt with my eyes!  Yeah, yeah, go ahead, ........................I know, I know!

Come to find out, I was tracking it with my eyes right into the front edge of the plate, (where I like to invision seeing an imaginary pane of glass), but I wasn't finishing the tracking into the mitt ...

WOW, ...all it took was an instructor to see that and go over a few things, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  It just 'feels' better, and the view is so much better!  Now, I'll only suck 1/2 as bad

It's just a testament to the value of going to a professional clinic!
    • By Thunderheads
      Discuss!
      http://www.mlb.com/v...782246&c_id=mlb

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25057893&topic_id=6479266&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_25057893&v=3
    • By MIZUMP
      Lefty batter with a lefty pitcher and they want an inside pitch. Being in the slot kind of gets us in a tough spot to see the release of the ball and such. What are your mechanics to help your vision in that spot?