Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
BlueMagic

Chirping Assistant

Also imagine the next practice where little Jimmy the snitch gets to get some special BP...

I don't want to make players rat out other players... that just ends badly. The HC on the other hand, by rule, is responsible for all actions of his team. He is the king rat... let him pay for the little rats actions.

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
1 hour ago, Mudisfun said:

Also imagine the next practice where little Jimmy the snitch gets to get some special BP...

I don't want to make players rat out other players... that just ends badly. The HC on the other hand, by rule, is responsible for all actions of his team. He is the king rat... let him pay for the little rats actions.

Omerta.

La Cosa Nostra... or 'this thing of ours'...

10 hours ago, lawump said:

Umpires walk briskly onto the field.  They walk directly to the home plate area.  They do not stop to talk to coaches/players, etc.  Plate umpire stands behind the point of the plate with his mask under his left arm and his line-up card holder and pen out and ready to go.  Partner(s) stand opposite the plate umpire (on the other side of home plate) facing the plate umpire.  Coaches will then walk up and stand in the batter's box closest to their dugout.

Unless it’s a travel game, in which case even though you walk to the plate and likely right past one of their dugouts, you’ll stand at the plate for a minute or two wondering whether anyone will join you. Sometimes I even make a game of it, seeing how long it will take to figure it out - but only if we’re ahead of schedule.

Then you have to call for the head coaches, letting them know you are in fact done inspecting the plate. 

11 hours ago, Hkepuck said:

Unless it’s a travel game, in which case even though you walk to the plate and likely right past one of their dugouts, you’ll stand at the plate for a minute or two wondering whether anyone will join you. Sometimes I even make a game of it, seeing how long it will take to figure it out - but only if we’re ahead of schedule.

Then you have to call for the head coaches, letting them know you are in fact done inspecting the plate. 

LOL

23 hours ago, lawump said:

Umpires walk briskly onto the field.  They walk directly to the home plate area.  They do not stop to talk to coaches/players, etc.  Plate umpire stands behind the point of the plate with his mask under his left arm and his line-up card holder and pen out and ready to go.  Partner(s) stand opposite the plate umpire (on the other side of home plate) facing the plate umpire.  Coaches will then walk up and stand in the batter's box closest to their dugout.

Me:  "Matt Sullivan, good to meet you"  (extends hand to shake.)

Partner:  "Alan Johnson, good to meet you." (extends hand to shake.)

Head Coach #1:  "Joe Smith, good to meet you."  (shakes umpires' hands)

Head Coach #2:  "Dick Jones, good to meet you."  (shakes umpires' hands)

Me:  "Joe (home team coach), I'll take your card first." (I review line-up card.)  "Ten-man line-up with your DH batting for your shortstop?"

#1:  "yes, sir."

Me:  "All of your substitutes listed?"

#1:  "Yes, sir."

Me:  (Takes Dick Jones' card and reviews it.)  "Batting straight nine; all of your substitutes listed?"

#2:  "Yes, sir."

Me:  "Are all bats, helmets and other equipment proper and legal according to Federation/NCAA rules?"

#1 & #2: "Yes, sir."

Me:  (In Fed games:) "All players properly and legally equipped?"

#1 & #2:  "Yes, sir."

Me:  (If required:) "Gentlemen, I'm required to mention sportsmanship.  I've just done it.  Joe, take us around."

#1:  (Gives ground rules.)

Me:  "Sounds good.  Good luck gentlemen."  (coaches and umpires shake hands one last time.)

Takes 1-2 minutes...with much of that time spent in silence reviewing the line-up cards.  THIS IS HOW IT GOES EVERY TIME.

For NCAA do you do the “I’m required to mention”
“b� Remind coaches of and review dugout control, the batter’s-box rule, bench jockeying and force-play slide rules; and”

I’ve always neglected that at JUCO level. And it seems even if mentioned it would have no effect based upon actual FPSR violations that occur. 

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

For NCAA do you do the “I’m required to mention”

No.  

• Like 1