Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Gil

MLB Ejection 056 - Sam Holbrook (1; Jeff Banister)

3B Umpire Sam Holbrook ejected Rangers Manager Jeff Banister (no-stop balk call; QOCY) in the top of the 9th inning of the Astros-Rangers game. With two out and two on (R2, R3), Rangers pitcher Keone Kela delivered a 1-2 pitch out of Set Position without stopping once coming set in contravention of...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
2 hours ago, Gil said:

3B Umpire Sam Holbrook ejected Rangers Manager Jeff Banister (no-stop balk call; QOCY) in the top of the 9th inning of the Astros-Rangers game. With two out and two on (R2, R3), Rangers pitcher Keone Kela delivered a 1-2 pitch out of Set Position without stopping once coming set in contravention of...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Wow, 

how often does the crew get together to make a call like that?

In pro ball? That call, in that fashion?

Never.

1 hour ago, maven said:

In pro ball? That call, in that fashion?

Never.

Never except once?

• Like 1

It actually makes more sense when you see why they called it after the fact.  Although if Fonzie knew he was in the set, he should have called it.  But that would only be one umpire brainfarting rather than four.

image.thumb.png.e6583dd3f848a72359ae098baef5f691.png

2 minutes ago, basejester said:

Announcing windup seems pretty ridiculous to me.  

dem's the rules, although I'm curious if you guys call this in youth OBR based games. I know Cal Ripken hasn't updated their verbiage in their rulebook to include the part about announcing the windup, but technically it would still be an issue in the USSSA games for tournaments.

On 6/11/2018 at 7:22 PM, grayhawk said:

It actually makes more sense when you see why they called it after the fact.  Although if Fonzie knew he was in the set, he should have called it.  But that would only be one umpire brainfarting rather than four.

image.thumb.png.e6583dd3f848a72359ae098baef5f691.png

It makes sense only because I believe I've seen MLB crews ignore the MLBUM instruction to call time and announce the windup to both dugouts and the crew. Which didn't happen but maybe this was a lax crew who didn't abide by the instruction. But you have 4 brainfarts. Kela pitched from the set after the runners attained 3B and 2B. Once he pitched from the set after that with the same batter he could not change to the windup. 

On 6/11/2018 at 7:34 PM, basejester said:

Announcing windup seems pretty ridiculous to me.  

The OBR rules, before the rule change, would allow a sideways pitcher to use a stance that would keep you in the dark but I never saw one that did. Even David Price, who probably was the impetus for the change, had tells which indicated his stance. But looking for the tell on a sideways pitcher could be hard for a runner and taxing on an umpire. The runner config would help you determine when to even look for the tell but it is a little extra brainwork for the ump.