Replay Rewind - Technically Correct or Spiritual Travesty?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2117 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Would you rather baseball be technically correct or invoke common sense and fair play in its Replay Review decisions: how close is too far? This philosophical quagmire manifests most frequently in the tag play at second base when a runner's foot slides into the bag and subsequently may or may not...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the commenter on the site. Replay was put in place to fix the obvious wrong. In this case, he missed the tag. Runner should be safe. Nitpicking that the runner's foot briefly came off the base isn't what I see as the purpose for replay, and it's different that a runner over-sliding a base. There needs to be a preset, enforced time limit for reviews. If it takes more than a minute to make a decision, whatever was called on the field should stand. I believe the NFL had a rule like that initially.

EDIT: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/its-time-to-change-the-slide-rule/

An interesting article on the topic. I'm not sure how realistic their proposal is, but I do think it would improve the game.

On 6/9/2018 at 3:54 PM, hbk314 said:

I agree with the commenter on the site. Replay was put in place to fix the obvious wrong. In this case, he missed the tag. Runner should be safe. Nitpicking that the runner's foot briefly came off the base isn't what I see as the purpose for replay, and it's different that a runner over-sliding a base. There needs to be a preset, enforced time limit for reviews. If it takes more than a minute to make a decision, whatever was called on the field should stand. I believe the NFL had a rule like that initially.

EDIT: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/its-time-to-change-the-slide-rule/

An interesting article on the topic. I'm not sure how realistic their proposal is, but I do think it would improve the game.

The problem is, once replay comes into effect (and this is true in all sports that use replay, that I know of) ALL aspects of the play are reviewed.   The replay crew isn't (only) charged with determining whether or not the fielder missed the original tag.   The replay crew is charged with determining if there is anything obvious to overrule his original call - in this case "out".

So, the replay shows the missed tag...OK...but then he also shows what looks like the possibility of the foot coming off the base.  So, now they have to review that as part of the whole play.   Because, again, the question is whether or not the runner is out, not whether or not a single element of the play happened. 

And, if, as you say, it takes too long for them to determine if the foot came off or not, they have to revert to the original call on the field...which was "out".

I don't see anything here indicating if the call was "confirmed" or if it "stands" - I'm guessing if the on field call was "safe" it would also have stood.

3 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

The problem is, once replay comes into effect (and this is true in all sports that use replay, that I know of) ALL aspects of the play are reviewed.

Completely and utterly false. I can trot out prime examples of video review in which this “all aspects” is overlooked or ignored, to frustrating ends, in the other three sports of The Big Four.

NFL – Video replay of a catch / no-catch by a receiver. Sure, the video reveals that the tip of the football touched the turf, but it also reveals blatant pass interference by the defensive back, who clamped onto the receiver’s forearm prior to the ball’s arrival.

And we won’t even go into the Fail Mary, or the Tuck Rule.

NBA – Offensive player dribbles up the sideline, and defender attempts a steal, shooting his hand across the dribbler’s body to knock the ball out of the dribbler’s possession and out of bounds. Referees go to video review, where it is revealed that the defender never touched the ball... because he smacked the dribbler’s hand, causing the dribbler to propel the ball out of bounds. So who touched it last? Offensive player. Who gets the ball? Defender.

NHL – Video review is performed on all scoring plays to determine legal last touch of the puck, if the puck crossed the goal line, and if the goalie was interfered with. Video review validates the goal, but it also reveals that the offensive skater performed a wicked cross-check so as to not only gain space to get his shot off, but to propel the defender into the goalie. Is the goal negated? Nope.

Last I checked fouls, penalties, violations and other infractions are crucial “aspects of a play” in those sports. The thing is, those officials are restricted from assessing a foul or penalty based off video review.

8 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Completely and utterly false. I can trot out prime examples of video review in which this “all aspects” is overlooked or ignored, to frustrating ends, in the other three sports of The Big Four.

NFL – Video replay of a catch / no-catch by a receiver. Sure, the video reveals that the tip of the football touched the turf, but it also reveals blatant pass interference by the defensive back, who clamped onto the receiver’s forearm prior to the ball’s arrival.

And we won’t even go into the Fail Mary, or the Tuck Rule.

NBA – Offensive player dribbles up the sideline, and defender attempts a steal, shooting his hand across the dribbler’s body to knock the ball out of the dribbler’s possession and out of bounds. Referees go to video review, where it is revealed that the defender never touched the ball... because he smacked the dribbler’s hand, causing the dribbler to propel the ball out of bounds. So who touched it last? Offensive player. Who gets the ball? Defender.

NHL – Video review is performed on all scoring plays to determine legal last touch of the puck, if the puck crossed the goal line, and if the goalie was interfered with. Video review validates the goal, but it also reveals that the offensive skater performed a wicked cross-check so as to not only gain space to get his shot off, but to propel the defender into the goalie. Is the goal negated? Nope.

Last I checked fouls, penalties, violations and other infractions are crucial “aspects of a play” in those sports. The thing is, those officials are restricted from assessing a foul or penalty based off video review.

OK - for those who are literal minded - all aspects of the play which are actually reviewable by rule.

NFL - Pass interference isn't a reviewable play (CFL it is).   What the NFL will do however, on, for example,  an interception that is returned to the half yard line, is they will validate the catch on the interception, and validate whether or not the guy actually stepped out at the 25 yard line, and whether or not the guy got into the end zone.   

NHL - again, penalties are not reviewable, by rule.  They will, however, when determining whether or not a puck crossed the line, also determine if the puck was kicked in or deflected in with a high stick.