Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

We had an umpire eject a coach the other day and curious to what everyone thinks about it. 

12U game first inning. I was doing a evaluation on PU so I saw it all. BU makes an out call at first because kid turned left and took two steps toward second because he thought it was an over throw past first baseman but it was not and he was tagged out. VTHC is in the third base coaching box and loses his mind on the call. BU explains what he has and VTHC yells loud that’s a shi++y call blue. BU dumps him and he says you have to warn me I am not leaving. I walk out and try to reason with him but he is insistent that he should have gotten a warning. I threatened to forfeit and he decided to leave. We talk in the parking lot and now his argument is that what he said was not even a cuss word

My question is would you eject or is shi++y not considered a cuss word. 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

That’s very clearly a cuss word and there’s no warning for profanity. Remember the three P’s.

Personal: Hey blue, you suck. 

Profane: Blue, you’re f***ing me man. 

Prolonged: Telling them to stop arguing and they continue to go at you. 

Context: 12U. Twelve year old baseball.

If you, as a coach of 12 year olds, tell me in a 1-to-1 "private" discussion that "that was a $hitty call", I'm at least chastising you ("Roger, we don't need to use that kind of language. Now, what else?"), or at most warning you.

If you, as a coach of 12 year olds, yell at me that "that was a $hitty call, Blue (not even using my first name, which you should have from the plate meeting)!", then you're getting dumped.

Thing is, I have professional, collegiate, and high school coaches who discuss with me in a far more civil manner, and the stakes – or context – are far higher than 12U baseball.

Something else jumped out while reading this, @KCKUMP – why are you stepping onto your umpires' field without being requested? I understand, you're UIC, but you're overstepping the protocols and ethics of being an "external" UIC. If the umpires were to request you (or a member of the Tournament's or League's staff) for a rules (likely, the tournament or league -specific modifications) interpretation, or something regarding the field or weather conditions, then you can certainly step onto the field; but to go out there to "reason with him (the ejected coach)" is undermining your umpires' authority and position. Point is, that coach has been ejected (past tense) and needs to leave the field. If you want to stand at the gate and discuss it with him once he leaves the field, then that's your latitude to do so as UIC, but the ejection, at that moment, has to stick.

If you were there to evaluate your PU, I'd be giving him feedback on how to support his BU partner once BU has Ejected that problem coach.

• Like 4

Agreed with all that Max said. 

To me, using the word "SH*#ty" isn't automatic. The exception is him yelling it across the field. 

20 hours ago, MadMax said:

Context: 12U. Twelve year old baseball.

If you, as a coach of 12 year olds, tell me in a 1-to-1 "private" discussion that "that was a $hitty call", I'm at least chastising you ("Roger, we don't need to use that kind of language. Now, what else?"), or at most warning you.

If you, as a coach of 12 year olds, yell at me that "that was a $hitty call, Blue (not even using my first name, which you should have from the plate meeting)!", then you're getting dumped.

Thing is, I have professional, collegiate, and high school coaches who discuss with me in a far more civil manner, and the stakes – or context – are far higher than 12U baseball.

Something else jumped out while reading this, @KCKUMP – why are you stepping onto your umpires' field without being requested? I understand, you're UIC, but you're overstepping the protocols and ethics of being an "external" UIC. If the umpires were to request you (or a member of the Tournament's or League's staff) for a rules (likely, the tournament or league -specific modifications) interpretation, or something regarding the field or weather conditions, then you can certainly step onto the field; but to go out there to "reason with him (the ejected coach)" is undermining your umpires' authority and position. Point is, that coach has been ejected (past tense) and needs to leave the field. If you want to stand at the gate and discuss it with him once he leaves the field, then that's your latitude to do so as UIC, but the ejection, at that moment, has to stick.

If you were there to evaluate your PU, I'd be giving him feedback on how to support his BU partner once BU has Ejected that problem coach.

He was saying loud that he was not leaving because he was not warned. It was then I realized I needed to step in. Our umps are not allowed to call a forfeit and I don’t expect them to stand there and get abused. I walked on the field allowed coach to vent for a second then told him it’s an automatic ejection, he needed to go and i would forfeit the game if he did not comply. He walked out with me, we talked for awhile and I set him straight on the zero tolerance policy for cussing. Both umps thanked me after the game and said they were about to send for me. In the 6 years I have have been a UIC/assistant GM I have never once reversed an ejection or not had my umps back. I almost got in a fist fight with a coach in the parking lot last year for threatening one of my umps. I only go on the field for rule questions and if ejected coaches will not leave. 

12-U Baseball.............Yes "SH#$$y is a profanity"..........context matters.....said to me in a private separate conversation and not overheard?....probably elicits no response from me.....other than a "be careful with your language" comment......

Everyone hears it?...........like @MadMax and @BT_Blue its time to get your gear and go........ 

Unfortunately I feel society has become overly casual about the use of profane language in public....especially around kids. If we tolerate it from the coaches, how surprised will we be when 12 year old Junior says it to us after a call?  

I had an ejected coach who was protesting his ejection and subsequent 1 game suspension, for profanity by saying that anything except the "F Bomb" was not profanity today.......just vulgar speech..... I disagreed.    

• Like 2

As a highly competent and experienced smart ass, I would make sure to tell the coach to include the rule, page number and paragraph number from the rule book where it requires me to give him any warning in his response to the BOD regarding his ejection.

At the LL level? Yelling that across the field? Have a nice day.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:25 PM, KCKUMP said:

He was saying loud that he was not leaving because he was not warned. It was then I realized I needed to step in. Our umps are not allowed to call a forfeit and I don’t expect them to stand there and get abused.

Teach your umpires to use the tools in their tool box. What happens when you trot off to the head and something happens? Suggestions for this level of play:

Rodeo clown using the other umpire. Encourage/cajole him to leave. 

Place the teams in the dugout. Trust me, after having to sit and stare at NOTHING happening on the field, some Grand Ma is going to start chewing that coach out for not leaving,

Suspend the game and refer to the BOD if the coach refuses to leave. Sucks for the kids, but we made a ruling, the coach chose to blow through the red lights and caused the wreck... he can live with the consequences. This is not a forfeit, so no rule issue with the umpires invoking this. 

Either way... you should not be on the field unless there is a HUGE issue... this is not at that point yet.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

Place the teams in the dugout. Trust me, after having to sit and stare at NOTHING happening on the field, some Grand Ma is going to start chewing that coach out for not leaving,

^^^This

It doesn't take long for a coach's own parent group to rebel and start telling him to GTFO.   Works with unruly parents too.    I find it very effective at the community level where there's often a solo ump (or even a volunteer), no UIC in sight, the "facility" is a schoolyard diamond, etc.

Yes, 12 and under this would be an EJ. Unless the coach was telling me, "you know, I'm one SH*#ty coach"....then he can stay

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I understand where you are coming from but here is the problem. We like most leagues are hurting for umpires and get a lot of young kids we spend hours training. If I come on the field to protect my young umpire from a grown man acting stupid it’s worth it to me. The other problem is by waiting out the coach and putting kids in dugouts I have to either stop the game clock (not fair to my umpires) or I have to explain to the other team why they are losing game time. If they start losing game time because of other teams coach this is goi g to start the exchange of words from the stands and next thing you know we have fights breaking out in the stands or parking lot. We talk about game management a lot sand to me this is just good game management 

8 hours ago, KCKUMP said:

IThe other problem is by waiting out the coach and putting kids in dugouts I have to either stop the game clock (not fair to my umpires) or I have to explain to the other team why they are losing game time.

"It's that jerk's fault."

Definitely don't stop the game clock.  Costing the kids playing time is adding to the weight of the case for the board to lengthen his suspension or kick him out of the league altogether.

• Like 1

@stevis beat me to it. You 100% don't stop the game clock. As well as pulling players off the field. It's part of the "penalty" for this idiot acting the way he is.

As stated before... do it and the only one that should be protecting the coach for his antics from the angry parents is his wife. And even then... she might not do that cause she agrees with them. LOL

10 hours ago, KCKUMP said:

If they start losing game time because of other teams coach this is goi g to start the exchange of words from the stands and next thing you know we have fights breaking out in the stands or parking lot.

See the source image