Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Mad Mike

Balk and Base Awards

OBR Rule Set:

Runner on First, outs don't matter. Pitcher rolls through coming set, delivers ball (count was 2-1). Umpires call "Balk". Batter takes pitch without swinging. R1 stealing on the pitch. Catcher throws it into centerfield.

R1 rounds second and heads for third. 

I think there was an error when the "Time" was called and the runner was placed back at second. R1 should have been allowed to advance at his own jeopardy. If he made third, then bonus for him. If he was thrown out, then under OBR-he is out.  We would nullify the pitch and play on, correct?

I believe this was confused with an interference call where if the catcher does not retire the runner on the immediate throw-we kill the play.

Any comments and/or rule references would be appreciated.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Time should be called when the catcher catches the pitch. R1 awarded second.

What grayhawk said.

In OBR, unless the batter puts the ball in play and all baserunners as well as the BR advance at least one base, the balk is enforced.

Time is called as soon as the pitch crosses the plate, whether handled by F2 or not. The bases are then awarded.

If the pitch is fouled off, the balk is also enforced and bases awarded.

4 hours ago, Man_In_Black said:

What grayhawk said.

In OBR, unless the batter puts the ball in play and all baserunners as well as the BR advance at least one base, the balk is enforced.

Time is called as soon as the pitch crosses the plate, whether handled by F2 or not. The bases are then awarded.

If the pitch is fouled off, the balk is also enforced and bases awarded.

What @grayhawk said is correct. Your next two sentences are not correct.

4 hours ago, Man_In_Black said:

What grayhawk said.

Or if the ball is thrown wild and all runners advance ...

This thread is a good example of why Fed makes balks immediately dead. There is a lot to learn pertaining to delayed dead balks and thousands of umpires would be all over the place in their rulings.

• Like 1