Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
MichaelG

Chest Protector For Smaller Guys

I am ready to upgrade my chest protector to a hard shell. My old chest protector is a Pro 9 (soft shell with some imbedded plates). The harness is shot and instead of working through finding a harness that will make it fit properly I am considering upgrading. 

I have been reading a lot of the fitting advice that talks about what works for larger folks. However, I would like some thoughts on getting something that would fit me. For reference I am 5'7" and weigh 153lb.  Anyone have some options that will give me good protection and most importantly will fit well. 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

We are exactly the same size and I wear a douglas, one of the original black ones in a 13in and it fits me really well. The plates haven't quite conformed to my body yet but I also haven't heated them up at all like other have suggested.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What maximum level of ball do you call?

I’ll start you out on the narrowest hardshell CP with the tallest range of sizes – the Champion P2xx series. This CP has rapidly become the favorite of MiLB umpires because of how it makes you slim, trim and athletic. Also, it is less than $70 retail, which is a huge benefit to MiLB umpires who have to purchase all their gear instead of having it comp’d to them by Wilson (whose WestVests are $150+) in the Big Leagues. The advanced, modern foams used in the P2xx means it is half the thickness of the bulky Wilsons, too.

The P200 is 17” tall, the P210 is 15” tall, and the P220 is 13” tall.

I would recommend a Schutt XV, but even I acknowledge it’s a bit broad.

The All-Star CPU4000 “System 7” might be a great option. It’s already got the Flex-style harness, the pre-curved carapace plates, and advanced foam to tic all the boxes for protection, performance, and (low) profile.

• Like 2

I’ll start you out on the narrowest hardshell CP with the tallest range of sizes – the Champion P2xx series. This CP has rapidly become the favorite of MiLB umpires because of how it makes you slim, trim and athletic. Also, it is less than $70 retail, which is a huge benefit to MiLB umpires who have to purchase all their gear instead of having it comp’d to them by Wilson (whose WestVests are $150+) in the Big Leagues. The advanced, modern foams used in the P2xx means it is half the thickness of the bulky Wilsons, too.
The All-Star CPU4000 “System 7” might be a great option. It’s already got the Flex-style harness, the pre-curved carapace plates, and advanced foam to tic all the boxes for protection, performance, and (low) profile.
Yeah, those too..lol

4 minutes ago, MadMax said:

This was the part that caught my eye the most. I was always curious regarding the designation of P2xx. But never realized it was based on size verses version. 

1 hour ago, amb1995 said:

We are exactly the same size and I wear a douglas, one of the original black ones in a 13in and it fits me really well. The plates haven't quite conformed to my body yet but I also haven't heated them up at all like other have suggested.

^^^^  This, IMO, will be the best if you are will to spend the money.   I am a smaller frame guy too.   I would recommend the T hook mod with a flex harness. I could never bend the plates enough to to get it were I wanted it without the pad coming off the plates.   Lightweight low profile and tight fitting. 

I also have a S7 that fits me very well. 

The champion with a harness mod won't set you back too much ($150 less than a Douglas) and could always be a very good spare/back up.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.  The highest level of ball I would plan to call would be High School Varsity at least for the foreseeable future. I umpire more to stay engaged with the game and don't intend to go beyond local youth tournaments and HS ball given my other work and family (I still have kids playing) obligations. 

I heartily agree on the Champion P220. i am the same size as you are and it is a good CP for a great price.

On 6/7/2018 at 6:11 PM, MadMax said:

As in still searching for the slim and trim look, are you referring to this Champion?

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/P2_Champion-Body-Armor-Umpire-Chest-Protector

I'm thinking of ordering it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JDavis225 said:

As in still searching for the slim and trim look, are you referring to this Champion?

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/P2_Champion-Body-Armor-Umpire-Chest-Protector

I'm thinking of ordering it. 

Yeh... that is the one he was talking about.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this for next year as well.

There is also this guy. Any thoughts?

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/CP335_Champro-Pro-Plus-Plate-Armor-Umpire-Chest-Protector

• Like 2

I have a West Vest Gold 11" for $75 plus shipping.

6 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Yeh... that is the one he was talking about.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this for next year as well.

There is also this guy. Any thoughts?

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/CP335_Champro-Pro-Plus-Plate-Armor-Umpire-Chest-Protector

I’ve been curious about this as well, it’s hard finding a good protector that fits well, covers what it should, and doesn’t make my neck disappear. I really wish I had the time and resources to come up with something. I know @Razzer was in talks a few years ago about developing his own, but haven’t heard much since.

9 hours ago, Jbpump15 said:

I’ve been curious about this as well, it’s hard finding a good protector that fits well, covers what it should, and doesn’t make my neck disappear. I really wish I had the time and resources to come up with something. I know @Razzer was in talks a few years ago about developing his own, but haven’t heard much since.

I ordered the Champion. Hopefully I can give an update soon. I hope it's lower than the Douglas, TW West Vest and Force 3 V1 that I've experimented with. 

2 hours ago, JHong said:

How do you feel about this diamond iX3

I think it depends on the level you're calling.

I use this protector for fastpitch softball up to and including 18u and like it.  I do not feel vulnerable.  I have taken shots to the chest, both shoulders, and the collarbone area.  I feel the impact of the ball (along the lines of getting abruptly shoved), but have not been injured.

The Diamond iX3 doesn't seem particularly airy and cool, but it's not bad.  I don't feel like it overheats me.  The stock harness is not terrible.  I do not use the bicep pads, but I do use the abdomen extension.

I have not used this protector to work baseball at any level.  The plastic plates are enclosed in foam, which means there are necessarily gaps between them, and means that a ball hitting the right place can pass along some force to the edges of the plates.  Just because that force is much more localized with a baseball, I would definitely want to experience lower-level baseball in it before I would consider using it at a JV/Varsity level.

• Thanks 1

I cosign the Champion. I ordered it last week and wore it this weekend and it's the lowest profile I've found. 

7 hours ago, JHong said:

I’m also about 5,9, and 160 lbs. I also need a new chest protector. 

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/DCPiX3_Diamond-iX3-Umpire-Chest-Protector

I'd go Champion over this. I think the price is lower plus you get hard shell. 

7 hours ago, JHong said:

I’m also about 5,9, and 160 lbs. I also need a new chest protector. 

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/DCPiX3_Diamond-iX3-Umpire-Chest-Protector

I have a West Vest Gold, size 11", that I will sell you for $75 plus shipping.

28 minutes ago, JDavis225 said:

I cosign the Champion. I ordered it last week and wore it this weekend and it's the lowest profile I've found. 

Just watch the shoulder caps on the champion, they are prone to breakage. As well as all the river holes from what I’ve seen. If you order it from Ump-attire inspect it completely before you wear it. If there are any defects UMPY-attire will take care of you.

• Like 3