Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
mw94

Super Regional Crews

Recommended Posts


Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Seen so far at CWS.

The recommendation that umpires not return to the (CWS) the next year(s) to help get others trained for the future, and give others a chance at working the pressure packed (CWS) finals has been rescinded. Wonder why that was rescinded. Seemed to make sense to keep more than just 8 or 10 of the same umpires working the finals all the time and I am sure the quality goes more than just 8 or 10 deep, as the Supers selections should at least encompass another 16 that are right up there in quality and eligibility.

Chris Coskey

Travis Katzenmeier

Jeff Henrichs 

Barry Chambers

Frank Sylvester

Joe Burleson

Perry Costello

Billy Van Raaphorst

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Isn't it every rwo years?

It says New for 2018: The 'preference' (oops i used the word recommendation) that an umpire work the (CWS) only once in a 3 year period is no longer applicable. 

I am not positive about any technicalities in that wording or the word preference. Just sounds like the same guys can claim preference and work every year now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

It says New for 2018: The 'preference' (oops i used the word recommendation) that an umpire work the (CWS) only once in a 3 year period is no longer applicable. 

I am not positive about any technicalities in that wording or the word preference. Just sounds like the same guys can claim preference and work every year now.

I'm not arguing your point. I know some of the guys who have worked in the past.   I have to say that that is one hell of a group up there this year.  Have been to quite a few clinics where these guys were instructors and not only are they great umpires but they love to share their knowledge.  They make clinics fun.

 

 

2 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

It says New for 2018: The 'preference' (oops i used the word recommendation) that an umpire work the (CWS) only once in a 3 year period is no longer applicable. 

I am not positive about any technicalities in that wording or the word preference. Just sounds like the same guys can claim preference and work every year now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, umpstu said:

I'm not arguing your point. I know some of the guys who have worked in the past.   I have to say that that is one hell of a group up there this year.  Have been to quite a few clinics where these guys were instructors and not only are they great umpires but they love to share their knowledge.  They make clinics fun.

#BBUCstrong

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 6:21 PM, umpstu said:

I'm not arguing your point. I know some of the guys who have worked in the past.   I have to say that that is one hell of a group up there this year.  Have been to quite a few clinics where these guys were instructors and not only are they great umpires but they love to share their knowledge.  They make clinics fun.

 

 

 

I just worry that it will cause exclusion rather than inclusion. Of the 11 umpires at the (CWS) including alternates, 8 have pro ball experience. I would have figured 6 with pro ball and 5 with no pro ball or vice versa. I just think there should be a healthy number of umpires who have worked their way to the top, by umpiring amateur players their whole career.

Many have attended well run amateur clinics/camps that are every bit as well done as the pro umpire schools. The umpires have put in just as many hours over the years training at these camps as the umpires going to the pro schools trained. Then they advance up the ranks working games on the field. They have plied their trade for years working their way up the Collegiate ladder.

If career umpires, with double digit years of experience of amateur players only, at the Collegiate Level are not just as equally well qualified to work the (CWS), then there is a problem with the training programs/camps and with guidance from regional supervisors to help make them as equally (CWS) proficient as those with some prior professional experience.

Just some thoughts after reading that new change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

I just worry that it will cause exclusion rather than inclusion. Of the 11 umpires at the (CWS) including alternates, 8 have pro ball experience. I would have figured 6 with pro ball and 5 with no pro ball or vice versa. I just think there should be a healthy number of umpires who have worked their way to the top, by umpiring amateur players their whole career.

Many have attended well run amateur clinics/camps that are every bit as well done as the pro umpire schools. The umpires have put in just as many hours over the years training at these camps as the umpires going to the pro schools trained. Then they advance up the ranks working games on the field. They have plied their trade for years working their way up the Collegiate ladder.

If career umpires, with double digit years of experience of amateur players only, at the Collegiate Level are not just as equally well qualified to work the (CWS), then there is a problem with the training programs/camps and with guidance from regional supervisors to help make them as equally (CWS) proficient as those with some prior professional experience.

Just some thoughts after reading that new change.

The money in Div 1 ball is really good, so you're going to see more umpires with pro experience.   And it you're a Div 1 conference assigner who would you hire?  A guy with 10 years of pro experience or a CC umpire who's been to a few clinics?  I know an assigner who won't hire an umpire if he hasn't been at least a AA umpire.  Can't say that I blame him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

I just worry that it will cause exclusion rather than inclusion. Of the 11 umpires at the (CWS) including alternates, 8 have pro ball experience. I would have figured 6 with pro ball and 5 with no pro ball or vice versa. I just think there should be a healthy number of umpires who have worked their way to the top, by umpiring amateur players their whole career.

Many have attended well run amateur clinics/camps that are every bit as well done as the pro umpire schools. The umpires have put in just as many hours over the years training at these camps as the umpires going to the pro schools trained. Then they advance up the ranks working games on the field. They have plied their trade for years working their way up the Collegiate ladder.

If career umpires, with double digit years of experience of amateur players only, at the Collegiate Level are not just as equally well qualified to work the (CWS), then there is a problem with the training programs/camps and with guidance from regional supervisors to help make them as equally (CWS) proficient as those with some prior professional experience.

Just some thoughts after reading that new change.

Understand what you say in theory only maybe. Still cannot believe that only Cosky and Chambers, both of whom apparently never even attended one of the pro schools from their bios, fit the bill. Seems like there should be quite a few others out there to chose from that have worked hard and are every bit as good as Cosky and Chambers. Just a bummer for the 10-15 year, amateur player only Collegiate Umpire, that if you don't have some kind of AAMCO letters behind your name that you cannot participate, and might never get a chance for that reason, when you are actually just as good or better, and perception is not necessarily reality.  Oh well, see how the selections fall next year for the pro player umps and the non pro player umps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is so the powers that be can have more flexibility from year to year.  There are very good/ great amateur umpires out there.  However, the committee has to see them in big games and they must meet the criteria for d1 post season.  Then have to be put up by a coordinator and selected (no easy feat).  Then once you've made post season work your way up and become trusted through years of consistent excellence and beating out some of the best in our field.  If you can shine that bright for that long and brand yourself you will make it up there.  But I can't blame the committee for wanting flex and stacking the field if they deem it needed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×