Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
lawump

Steve Palermo

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Anyone else pick up the irony of the man who was also shot with Steve Palermo?

• Like 1

Yes, I did................Terence Mann...........character in the movie  "Field of Dreams"........author of the book "The Boat Rocker".........played by James Earl Jones......adapted from the book: Shoeless Joe: Field of Dreams by W.P. Kinsella.......   

When I was a kid (I started umpiring 8-9 year old games when I was 13), and some adult would ask me, "What do you want to be when you grow up," and I responded with, "a major league umpire,"...the response from the adult was always, "what? do you think you're the next Palermo????"

That's not an exaggeration.  I'd be retired today if I had received a dollar every time someone had said that to me during my childhood.  LOL

• Haha 1

Class act by your hometown. 

Remembering the era he came up in, Steve was one of the umpires of a new generation of umpires (well at least new umpires that didn’t have cool nicknames like Satch, Augie, Shag and Dutch). 

Just remembering as a new umpire in my early 20s (stay away from doing the math), his professional practice on the field was something to model. You just wished you could be as good as him.