Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest callthecorner

MLB MOUND CONFERENCES

Question

Guest callthecorner

Has anyone made head or tails of the new MLB mound conferences 5.10(m)?  Can a defensive player (5.10)(m)(2) in the 2nd inning call time and speak to the pitcher (visit #1) and in the same inning the manager come out to the same pitcher and not remove the pitcher, or is that considered a 2nd visit (not charged)?  Why does the MLB rule book still have the reference (only) to a manager/coach 2nd visit to same pitcher in same inning requires removal from the game?? 5.10(l)

I may be looking at an older version of the rule book but I thought the new rule was for 2018.

Does the rule book clarify that after six charged conference a subsequent visit would require the removal of the pitcher from the game (in regulation play)??

5 answers to this question

The rule changes you ask about have been incorporated into the 2018 OBR that is posted at mlb.com--

5.10(m)(1) Mound visits without a pitching change shall be limited to six per team, per nine innings. For any extra-innings played, each team shall be entitled to one additional nonpitching change mound visit per inning.

(2) For purposes of this Rule 5.10(m), a manager or coach trip to the mound to meet with the pitcher shall constitute a visit. A player leaving his position to confer with the pitcher, including a pitcher leaving the mound to confer with another player, shall also constitute a visit, regardless of where the visit occurs or the length of the visit, except that the following shall not constitute visits:

(A) Discussions between pitchers and position player(s) that occur between batters in the normal course of play and do not require either the position player(s) or the pitcher to relocate;

(B) Visits by position players to the mound to clean spikes in rainy conditions;

(C) Visits to the mound due to an injury or potential injury of the pitcher; and

(D) Visits to the mound after the announcement of an offensive substitution.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
13 hours ago, Guest callthecorner said:

Has anyone made head or tails of the new MLB mound conferences 5.10(m)?  Can a defensive player (5.10)(m)(2) in the 2nd inning call time and speak to the pitcher (visit #1) and in the same inning the manager come out to the same pitcher and not remove the pitcher, or is that considered a 2nd visit (not charged)?  Why does the MLB rule book still have the reference (only) to a manager/coach 2nd visit to same pitcher in same inning requires removal from the game?? 5.10(l)

I may be looking at an older version of the rule book but I thought the new rule was for 2018.

Does the rule book clarify that after six charged conference a subsequent visit would require the removal of the pitcher from the game (in regulation play)??

I think the limit of 6 only applies to MLB. Other leagues using OBR don't have to adopt that limit.

Am I correct in understanding that, similar to the FED approach, if the pitcher is removed, that visit does NOT count toward the six visit limit?

3 minutes ago, conbo61 said:

Am I correct in understanding that, similar to the FED approach, if the pitcher is removed, that visit does NOT count toward the six visit limit?

From the rulebook, and Sr. Azuls' post:

5.10(m)(1) Mound visits without a pitching change shall be limited to six per team, per nine innings. For any extra-innings played, each team shall be entitled to one additional nonpitching change mound visit per inning.

RIF.

16 hours ago, Guest callthecorner said:

Are you asking for your understanding of the MLB rule or for an understanding of how you would apply the OBR rule in a non professional league. LL has adopted their own rule. PONY and USSSA address it in their supplement and retain removing the pitcher on the second trip in an inning but do not limit that second trip if it is with the same batter. Other non professional leagues using OBR would have to address it but might not have realized it.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this