Funny Coach’s Response on Baserunning Mistake

rjt6
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1946 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I guess this post would fit here...

Anyway, 9U game about a month ago. The runner on first is stealing on the pitch, but the batter flies out to LF. The runner was roughly 5 feet past 2B going towards third when he realizes he has to go back to 1B. He decides to cut through the middle of the field (not re-tagging 2B). He is called out. The 1B coach was confused and asked why the runner was called out, and I explained that he didn’t re-tag 2B. Then, the coach replies, “Oh, I didn’t know we were going to be technical in this league!”

I ignored the comment and was trying everything I could not to start laughing hysterically. For whatever reason, I found the response to be really funny.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, maven said:

Does this 9U league have some sort of "automatic appeal" rule? This is a missed base, and would otherwise require an appeal by the defense in order to yield an out.

@maven The defending team did appeal. I forgot to mention that.

10 hours ago, rjt6 said:

“Oh, I didn’t know we were going to be technical in this league!”

If you're not going to follow the rules, why would you need an umpire?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Two years ago I was on the bases for a high school game. R1 stealing on the pitch and ground ball to F5. The runner clearly reaches second and rounds and I wheel around and get the out at first. F3 throws ball back to F1 and suddenly there is a lot of excitement going on and I can't figure out why. F1 goes to throw ball back to F3 and then I see R1 trucking it back to first. I had no idea what was going on and no one really did, offense or defense. So R1 slides back into first and I have to give an awkwardly demonstrative safe call. It was the weirdest thing. Then defensive coach comes out and says he doesn't think R1 retouched second. I got together with my partner and neither one of us had any idea as we had no reason to be looking that way. So I went to the coach and said "Coach if he wants to be at first base that badly we're going to oblige him" and left him there. Everyone was so confused we just moved on...

ETA: Forgot to say, later on I was chatting with he shortstop and he said the runner damn near ran through the grass on his way back but he thought it was so funny he just let it go.

• Haha 1