Revenge - Benches Clear After Pirates Slide vs Cubs

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2156 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Benches cleared in Pittsburgh, days after Chicago's Anthony Rizzo illegally slid into Pirates catcher Elias Diaz on Monday, resulting in Manager Clint Hurdle ejection for arguing umpire Bill Welke's interference no-call and New York's erroneous ruling that the slide was bona fide, as the Pirates...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, blue23ll said:

That wasn't revenge. The cub player wasn't rolling around on the grass in pain holding his leg. 

I have seen this rolling around in the grass in pain holding the leg routine in games, and then stealing a base on the very next pitch before, and similar exploits in other sports. 

Also, enforcement of a rulebook infraction by an umpire or any official of any other sport, such as that of interference in baseball, does not necessarily guarantee future nonproliferation of a former incident.

9 hours ago, blue23ll said:

That wasn't revenge. The cub player wasn't rolling around on the grass in pain holding his leg.

That's mainly because Baez didn't stay planted in the way of the sliding runner and let him get a piece of his ankle.  Baez got his cleats out of the ground to avoid the runner and protect himself, just like defensive players learned to do for hundreds of years before MLB implemented a beer-league "everybody has to work tomorrow" slide rule.

based on the rule, IMHO, R1 did not slide past the bag and could have easily held it, his hand was right there, if there was a safe call, no doubt he would have.

just my .02  and likely worth about the same.