Passed ball caught by umpire

Tksjewelry
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2128 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

4 hours ago, noumpere said:

Why did he advance the runners?  I don't see the ball as "lodged."  He just should have lifted his arm, let the ball fall and then play it out.

If he had to raise his arm the let it go then it was lodged. 

And it would give an unintended benefit to the defense.

I get the lodged part. Why was the pitch considered no pitch?

The end of the video has the announcer saying the count will remain 1-2 while Bellino wipes away the pitch.

3 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

If he had to raise his arm the let it go then it was lodged. 

And it would give an unintended benefit to the defense.

Disagree, but I'm willing to learn.  The ball must "remain out of play" when it lodges with the umpire / catcher, and there's an interp that if the umpire handles a live ball, he should drop it and play it out.

10 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

Good point -- so maybe this wasn't a lodged ball but a balk or something.

Or a kicked rule.  ;)

32 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

The end of the video has the announcer saying the count will remain 1-2 while Bellino wipes away the pitch.

The wipe away was actually a "no trip" signal. The pitch was a ball.

• Like 2

OBR 5.06(c) Dead Balls

The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases, without liability to be put out, when:

5.06(c)(7) A pitched ball lodges in the umpire’s or catcher’s mask or paraphernalia, and remains out of play, runners advance one base;

5.06(c)(7) Comment…If a pitched ball lodges in the umpire’s or catcher’s mask or paraphernalia, and remains out of play, on the third strike or fourth ball, then the batter is entitled to first base and all runners advance one base. If the count on the batter is less than three balls, runners advance one base.

From the 2016 BRD (section 549, p. 362):

Umpire: Handles Live Ball

FED:  If an umpire handles a live ball, the ball becomes dead. (5-1-1h)

NCAA:  Unless the umpire has asked specifically to examine the ball, it remains alive when touched by an umpire. (6-5g)

OBR:  Same as NCAA. (5.12b-5)

Official Interpretation:  Wendelstedt:  If an umpire handles a live ball when a play is ongoing, he should drop the ball in place the instant he realizes further play is possible. (email to Childress, 11/16/14)

On 5/29/2018 at 6:53 PM, Senor Azul said:

OBR 5.06(c) Dead Balls

The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases, without liability to be put out, when:

5.06(c)(7) A pitched ball lodges in the umpire’s or catcher’s mask or paraphernalia, and remains out of play, runners advance one base;

5.06(c)(7) Comment…If a pitched ball lodges in the umpire’s or catcher’s mask or paraphernalia, and remains out of play, on the third strike or fourth ball, then the batter is entitled to first base and all runners advance one base. If the count on the batter is less than three balls, runners advance one base.

From the 2016 BRD (section 549, p. 362):

Umpire: Handles Live Ball

FED:  If an umpire handles a live ball, the ball becomes dead. (5-1-1h)

NCAA:  Unless the umpire has asked specifically to examine the ball, it remains alive when touched by an umpire. (6-5g)

OBR:  Same as NCAA. (5.12b-5)

Official Interpretation:  Wendelstedt:  If an umpire handles a live ball when a play is ongoing, he should drop the ball in place the instant he realizes further play is possible. (email to Childress, 11/16/14)

I think "handles" means exactly that - using the hand to hold the ball. That's why Wendelstedt says he should drop the ball. He was holding it.

And the NCAA says "touched by an umpire" not "touched an umpire".

• Like 1