Coach asked to be ejected

KCKUMP
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2129 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Has anyone ever had a coach ask to be ejected? 

I was doing a HS game this spring behind plate. We do our meeting and after HTHC comes up to me and my partner and says “hey this is my assistant coaches last game, and to be honest team is playing like crap so could you throw me in the first inning? I say are you serious? He says yes first close pitch I will come out and tell you I have seen better umps in Tball and you toss me. I look at my partner and he says sure. So inning starts and we toss him. Never had this happen before or since. 

Yup, a few times. Usually in a similar situation, coaches looking to fire up a team or take a break before a championship game. I had a 13u elite coach who i knew pretty well on an elimination into the championship game start flashing me 3 fingers for two innings. One of his kids went down looking at a close third strike call in the third inning, coach comes out yelling nonsense at me. I toss him, he winked and said thanks blue. Watched him walk out to the end of the left field line were he had his umbrella chair and cooler all set up and waiting for him. Almost backfired on him, he should have actually talked to me, what he didn't know was I was moving over to the championship game. Had I stayed on the game, he, the team's only coach, would have had to sit it out. He's a good coach, teaches his player to respect the umpires and the game all while maintaining good sportsmanship. I went to the state td and volunteered to move to a different age bracket so he could stay with his team. In the parking lot after the championships, he came up to us very humbly and thanked us for changing fields.

Yes, in an American Legion Regional championship game.  Team was losing pretty bad after three innings (7-0 as I recall).  Head coach came out after the third out of the third inning and said "I need to get ejected to fire up my team.  You can eject me now, or I can go into the dugout and put on a show in a few minutes."  

I said, "we can do it now, but I can't just eject you because you say you want to be ejected.  You have to give me something to put in my report."  He said, "okay...(pause)...you're a terrible umpire.  You're brutal."  I said, "that'll do it," and ejected him.  He said, "thanks," and then stepped back and put on a show to fire up the crowd (he was the host team) and his team.  I had to bite my tongue to not smile or laugh.

It didn't work.  His team got clocked.

• Haha 4

On 5/29/2018 at 8:09 PM, Richvee said:

If he was the only coach, who coached them after he took a seat with his umbrella and cooler?

The scorekeeping parent sat on the coaches bucket but really, the kids coaches themselves. 

• Like 1