Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Russell

Enforcing the coaches box rule

Question

Guest Russell

I keep playing against this opposing 3rd base coach that gets so far down the 3rd bass line prepitch that he’s getting into the vision of my pitchers and trying to razzle and disrupt them through chatter and movement. Other than it’s obviously “bush league,” he has to remain in the coaches box. I’ve brought it to the attention of the home plate umpires several times and I’m getting nowhere. He should be warned and ejected upon second infraction right? Can someone show me the specific rule and advise me on how to get these umpires to enforce this rule that is intended to preserve the integrity of the game? Thanks. 

9 answers to this question

OBR 5.03c is the rule that you're looking for.
Base coaches must remain within the coach’s box consistent with this Rule, except that a coach who has a play at his base may leave the coach’s box to signal the player to slide, advance or return to a base if the coach does not interfere with the play in any manner. Other than exchanging equipment, all base coaches shall refrain from physically touching base runners, especially when signs are being given.

PENALTY: If a coach has positioned himself closer to home plate than the coach’s box or closer to fair territory than the coach’s box before a batted ball passes the coach, the umpire shall, upon complaint by the opposing manager, strictly enforce the rule. The umpire shall warn the coach and instruct him to return to the box. If the coach does not return to the box he shall be removed from the game.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
9 hours ago, Guest Russell said:

I keep playing against this opposing 3rd base coach that gets so far down the 3rd bass line prepitch that he’s getting into the vision of my pitchers and trying to razzle and disrupt them through chatter and movement. Other than it’s obviously “bush league,” he has to remain in the coaches box. I’ve brought it to the attention of the home plate umpires several times and I’m getting nowhere. He should be warned and ejected upon second infraction right? Can someone show me the specific rule and advise me on how to get these umpires to enforce this rule that is intended to preserve the integrity of the game? Thanks. 

Complain about the "induce a balk" rule, not the coach's box rule. Coach's boxes are routinely ignored by all teams.

Pro instruction is (still?) that we ignore the coach's box rule until someone complains, then enforce it equally for both teams.

That's what I would do. The balk rule won't help unless there's a balk: "distracting F1" isn't specifically a thing, and IIRC UNS in OBR is rather narrow and doesn't address it.

The OP doesn't mention the code, so I'll mention that this is covered in FED 3-3-1i, which is what I've taken to calling Type 2 UNS (warn/eject depending on severity, where a written warning entails restriction).

The OP sounds as if he might be dealing with less-trained umpires who won't or don't know how to enforce this provision. As a coach, I don't suppose there's much he can do except to request that PU enforce the rule (with 2+ umpires, this will be PU's responsibility).

50 minutes ago, maven said:

Pro instruction is (still?) that we ignore the coach's box rule until someone complains, then enforce it equally for both teams.

That's what I would do. The balk rule won't help unless there's a balk: "distracting F1" isn't specifically a thing, and IIRC UNS in OBR is rather narrow and doesn't address it.

The OP doesn't mention the code, so I'll mention that this is covered in FED 3-3-1i, which is what I've taken to calling Type 2 UNS (warn/eject depending on severity, where a written warning entails restriction).

The OP sounds as if he might be dealing with less-trained umpires who won't or don't know how to enforce this provision. As a coach, I don't suppose there's much he can do except to request that PU enforce the rule (with 2+ umpires, this will be PU's responsibility).

I meant this (same in LL - different number):

6.04 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
(a) No manager, player, substitute, coach, trainer or batboy shall at
any time, whether from the bench, the coach’s box or on the
playing field, or elsewhere:

(3) Call “Time,” or employ any other word or phrase or commit
any act while the ball is alive and in play for the obvious
purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit a balk.

Ask the umpire to enforce the rule. When he does not, put a P in the book for their refusal to enforce the rule, which is not a judgement call.

3 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

I meant this (same in LL - different number):

6.04 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
(a) No manager, player, substitute, coach, trainer or batboy shall at
any time, whether from the bench, the coach’s box or on the
playing field, or elsewhere:

(3) Call “Time,” or employ any other word or phrase or commit
any act while the ball is alive and in play for the obvious
purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit a balk.

Being out of the box ≠ "for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit a balk."

That's not big enough to trigger this provision.

6 minutes ago, maven said:

Being out of the box ≠ "for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit a balk."

Agreed, but "he’s getting into the vision of my pitchers and trying to razzle and disrupt them through chatter and movement " might be (recognizing that it's judgment, and all we have is the opposing coaches viewpoint here) -- as an umpire, it's at least crossing my mind

28 minutes ago, maven said:

To quote the OP: " he’s getting into the vision of my pitchers and trying to razzle and disrupt them through chatter and movement"

You can call him  on this or wait until the pitcher tries to take care of it.  Pick one.  

1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

To quote the OP: " he’s getting into the vision of my pitchers and trying to razzle and disrupt them through chatter and movement"

You can call him  on this or wait until the pitcher tries to take care of it.  Pick one.  

Of course the DC thinks that's what the OC is doing. He's entitled to his opinion: I'm stating that it's not big enough for me, as in, it does not satisfy the constraint in the rule that the disruption be "obviously" for the purpose of causing a balk. It could just as easily be for the purpose of distracting F1.

Your expert umpire advice is to "call him on this," as if I were advocating ignoring it. I did no such thing, so let's keep the straw man out of the discussion, Coach.

He's out of the box. Proper mechanics has a remedy for that when the opposing team complains, as happened here: warn him to get back in, then warn again (in FED w/ restriction), or eject.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this