Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Biscuit

Rule Differences From OBR - FED / NFHS Edition

Probably deserves its own thread, but having two threads which could easily have the same title seems redundant. I’ll be working my first game under FED, though not a high school game, and just wanted a quick rundown of the rule differences I’m most likely to come across. Will also be my first games where I’ll be given a lineup at the start of the game, and I KNEW I should have gotten a lineup wallet with my last UE order :mad:

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
2 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Probably deserves its own thread, but having two threads which could easily have the same title seems redundant. I’ll be working my first game under FED, though not a high school game, and just wanted a quick rundown of the rule differences I’m most likely to come across. Will also be my first games where I’ll be given a lineup at the start of the game, and I KNEW I should have gotten a lineup wallet with my last UE order :mad:

You should really start this in the HS section.

Though the idea is the same. The rules differences are enough that it should have its own thread.

@Thunderheads or @Umpire in Chief, we we move this to its own thread so it can get the attention it deserves?

Go here for a document I put together probably 20 years ago -- so some is out of date.  http://www.fvbumpire.com/page.php?id=28

It was based on things that were important to *me* and relatively likely to occur as I started to work college ball  (sorry -- I could have included this in the previous question in the NCAAA forum, but I forgot about it).

• Thanks 1

There is a link to Steve the Ump, a website run by an NJSIAA umpire about various aspects of umpiring baseball. That link is specifically about the differences between HS and pro rules. This is a list of differences from UmpireBible, grouped by categories of rules. Both are very informative, and up-to-date resources, especially the UmpireBible link. 

Mr. Biscuit, do you have a copy of the FED baseball rules? If so, there is a section in the back titled Major Rules Differences—in the 2015 edition that section is found on pages 69-71.

And if you do not have a copy, you can find one online at—

http://www.stevetheump.com/rules/2015_NFHS_rules.pdf

7 hours ago, noumpere said:

Go here for a document I put together probably 20 years ago -- so some is out of date.  http://www.fvbumpire.com/page.php?id=28

It was based on things that were important to *me* and relatively likely to occur as I started to work college ball  (sorry -- I could have included this in the previous question in the NCAAA forum, but I forgot about it).

4 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

There is a link to Steve the Ump, a website run by an NJSIAA umpire about various aspects of umpiring baseball. That link is specifically about the differences between HS and pro rules. This is a list of differences from UmpireBible, grouped by categories of rules. Both are very informative, and up-to-date resources, especially the UmpireBible link. 

Thanks for the links guys! Umpire bible was huge for me just getting started. 

17 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

Mr. Biscuit, do you have a copy of the FED baseball rules? If so, there is a section in the back titled Major Rules Differences—in the 2015 edition that section is found on pages 69-71.

And if you do not have a copy, you can find one online at—

http://www.stevetheump.com/rules/2015_NFHS_rules.pdf

I do not have a copy of FED rules. Thanks for the link and the tip!

On 5/23/2018 at 12:43 AM, Biscuit said:

My book is written for OBR, but each page is marked if the college or FED rule is different. You can then go to a table in the back giving a brief description of the difference and the appropriate rule citation.

It was edited by @noumpere to make sure I did not screw anything up.

https://www.amazon.com/RuleGraphics-Professional-Baseball-Dennis-Goodman/dp/0996110526/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528309308&sr=8-1&keywords=rulegraphics

• Like 1