Run score or Not

Guest Chad
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2158 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Chad

Runner on 1st and 3rd with two outs. Ground ball hit to second baseman who fields and ends up tagging runner out. The runner on third scores before the out is made. Does the run count or not? Force out or not? 

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

9 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Guest Chad said:

Runner on 1st and 3rd with two outs. Ground ball hit to second baseman who fields and ends up tagging runner out. The runner on third scores before the out is made. Does the run count or not? Force out or not? 

Look at the very elements you presented to us:

Runner on 1st (R1), with two outs. That R1 is forced to 2B when Batter puts the ball in play and becomes Batter-Runner, does he not?

I'm assuming that 2nd Baseman (known as F4) tagged R1, yes? It is irrelevant as to if F4 tags R1, runs over and toe-taps 2B, holds the ball (securely) in his hand and taps 2B with his glove, or shovel passes it to Shortstop (F6) who is standing on the bag to securely receive it. R1 has been retired as an Out. Because the 3rd Out was made upon a Forced runner – no matter how it was done – No Runs Can Score.

You answered your own question. It is a Force out. What led you to believe otherwise?

Guest Tagging base Vs player

I just wanted to make sure it didn’t make a difference since the kid was tagged out by physically touching him with the ball instead of tagging the base.

24 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Look at the very elements you presented to us:

Runner on 1st (R1), with two outs. That R1 is forced to 2B when Batter puts the ball in play and becomes Batter-Runner, does he not?

I'm assuming that 2nd Baseman (known as F4) tagged R1, yes? It is irrelevant as to if F4 tags R1, runs over and toe-taps 2B, holds the ball (securely) in his hand and taps 2B with his glove, or shovel passes it to Shortstop (F6) who is standing on the bag to securely receive it. R1 has been retired as an Out. Because the 3rd Out was made upon a Forced runner – no matter how it was done – No Runs Can Score.

You answered your own question. It is a Force out. What led you to believe otherwise?

I think you and we are being trolled but if the guest answers your question maybe not.

8 hours ago, Guest Chad said:

Not enough information to answer.

The *likely* answer,  the run does not count, as given above, assumes that R1 is tagged before reaching second.  It's possible, of course, especially in level where this question might really come up, that R1 reached second, overran (or overslid) the base and was then tagged.

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

The *likely* answer,  the run does not count, as given above, assumes that R1 is tagged before reaching second.  It's possible, of course, especially in level where this question might really come up, that R1 reached second, overran (or overslid) the base and was then tagged.

those odds are worse than the powerball....  :cheers:

14 hours ago, noumpere said:

Ground ball hit to second baseman who fields and ends up tagging runner out

I haven't seen a 2nd baseman shifted to the SS side of the bag yet.  Yes, some Pro guys make saves like that, but this stated hit to the 2nd baseman.  I've got a force and no run can score under 4.09 (a) exception