Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest DBJ

Inadequate pitching

Question

Guest DBJ

If a home team pitcher age 9/10 consistently throws pitches high off the backstop, in the dirt and away from the catcher being able to at least catch the ball in the last inning when the team is already down 9 runs (one run short of the slaughter rule) and walks in 10 more (over 30 minutes for the 1/2 inning) can the umpire warn the coach and call the game or does it have to continue to let the home team bat in the bottom of the inning. 

12 answers to this question

not sure what rule set/ league you're in, however in mercy rule in most (LL for sure) equal at bats applies, so the home team must get a turn at bat

side note - the HC is really doing his team and the pitcher a disservice to let him throw 50+ pitches in an inning

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest NJ Coach

I've seen coaches mutually agree to end a game, but it's not right for an umpire to do so.  This is what mercy rules are for, so let it play out.

49 minutes ago, Guest DBJ said:

can the umpire warn the coach and call the game

Oh, yes, please let us call the game!

"This 'pitching' does not meet the league definition of the term. By rule this contest is ended!"

Then run.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Stan W. said:

Our job is to officiate the game, not the quality of the play.............

That is a great piece of advice and true.  Sometimes it is hard (very hard) not to become frustrated by the "quality of play". Especially when it's hot and already been along day but always remind yourself that folks are watching us and our actions are noticed by everyone in attendance. I have umpired many games that SHOULD have been called BEFORE they began. In those I usually pick a good song to stick in my head for 90 minutes, or try and solve a problem that arose at work

19 hours ago, Stan W. said:

Our job is to officiate the game, not the quality of the play.............

13 hours ago, aaluck said:

That is a great piece of advice and true.  Sometimes it is hard (very hard) not to become frustrated by the "quality of play". Especially when it's hot and already been along day but always remind yourself that folks are watching us and our actions are noticed by everyone in attendance. I have umpired many games that SHOULD have been called BEFORE they began. In those I usually pick a good song to stick in my head for 90 minutes, or try and solve a problem that arose at work

I asked a question about focusing in games like this just the other week. It was in Free For All. The replies were all great. Pick something specific that you need to work on in the game to help you stay focused. Most of all, remember it is for the kids. We owe it to them to do our the best we can every game.

Does your 9/10 league have a max batter of 10 per inning?

In my area LL Div 20 they announce last batter and nobody can steal, etc until the first strike is thrown.

You just have to protect yourself best you can.

I had wild pitchers from both teams the other night.

I was hit a record nine times, two where there was no padding at all. I was in the slot and the catchers saved a bunch of pitches but there is only so much they can do.

The only thing I said to everyone was to relax and the game is supposed to be fun.  Again it's 9/10 year olds.  After that they were consistent with their pitches and the catchers had more confidence and were not turning away from the ones in the dirt.

My lower outside corner has been admittedly inconsistent so I tried working on that, making sure my head was above the catcher's height, etc.  

I picked a few things to concentrate on for the game and it went a lot smoother for me.

2 hours ago, KrazyRay said:

Little League has a 5 runs per inning rule for minors 9/10 year olds.

And it also it includes only once through the order.

I remember being PU on a game like this years ago (before 5 run limits, pitch counts, etc.) with 10 year olds... coach started 'who wants to pitch'. Kid threw a lob that bounced well in front of the plate, I stood up out of my crouch, somehow it didn't touch the catcher and landed square on my cup - even with the cup, it had me a little dizzy. I remember thinking "perfect". There are games that if you knew what you were in for, you wouldn't take double the money to go do it.

• Like 1

Guest NJ Coach

As a coach I have a 'respect the game' philosophy and won't let a kid pitch, or certain kids play catcher if they just have no ability there, and therefore would detract from the experience for their teammates, the other team and even the umpires.

One 9-10 Rec experience stands out in my mind, where the lazy catcher would let every pitch by, crawl to get it, underhand roll it on the ground back to the pitcher and then crawl back to position for the next pitch without ever getting up.  Every single time.  It was brutal.

I felt the coach should not have played this kid at C.  Kid gave absolutely no effort.

I totally get what you are saying. Nothing is worse then a first place undefeated team playing the last place no win team, being one or two runs away from the spread and deciding to put their worse pitcher who can’t pitch and worse they put the right fielder at catcher so you are about to take a beating. I get what they are doing but at the same time I am hot and now getting hurt so you can make Timmy feel good and he can tell people he caught a few innings. 

I will admit a few times when I have taken a shot to the cup or arm I have set up behind the batter and called it the best I could. It is ridiculous to expect me to get hurt in a game that is over so Timmy can catch. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.