Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest Greg Harrison

Does run count

Question

Guest Greg Harrison

Bases loaded, one out.  Batter lines out to CF for second out.  Runner on third tags up and scores.  Runner from first does not tag up and passes runner at second.  Runner is called out.  Does run count if it crossed the plate before the out?

11 answers to this question

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Don't the myriad of people who ask this very same question ever take the time to read through the other questions?! 

I am constantly reminded that baseball is such a simple game on the surface but is really quite complex with a lot of obscure rules that most fans don't truly grasp. Maybe that is why is such a great game!

I will say, though, that the odds of R3, who tagged up, crossing home plate, before R1, who ran on contact, passed R2 are pretty remote.   There's a better chance that R1 passed R2 before the ball was even caught.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mussgrass said:

Don't the myriad of people who ask this very same question ever take the time to read through the other questions?! 

I am constantly reminded that baseball is such a simple game on the surface but is really quite complex with a lot of obscure rules that most fans don't truly grasp. Maybe that is why is such a great game!

Did you read the whole play? This is not about a retouch appeal, but about passing a runner. We don't see this wrinkle that often.

6 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

I will say, though, that the odds of R3, who tagged up, crossing home plate, before R1, who ran on contact, passed R2 are pretty remote.   There's a better chance that R1 passed R2 before the ball was even caught.

The OP does not claim that R3 scored before the passing, but poses a hypothetical.

19 hours ago, Guest Greg Harrison said:

Does run count if it crossed the plate before the out?

Yes, but note that it will count if R3 touches HP before R1 passes R2, not (only) before R1 is called out.

On 5/18/2018 at 6:54 PM, maven said:

Did you read the whole play? This is not about a retouch appeal, but about passing a runner. We don't see this wrinkle that often.

You are right! I did read it too quickly and missed that!

On 5/18/2018 at 4:54 PM, maven said:

The OP does not claim that R3 scored before the passing, but poses a hypothetical

The validity of my statement doesn't change whether the OP is a hypothetical, is a false claim, or actually happened.

And I hope it would be something that is considered if the umpire forgets himself and doesn't actually see if the run scored in time or not - which does indeed happen from time to time at the amateur level.

7 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

The validity of my statement doesn't change whether the OP is a hypothetical, is a false claim, or actually happened.

You're posting in a forum called "Ask the Umpire" (despite the fact that you're not one, but whatever). If you're going to post an answer, please make it responsive.

Changing the situation doesn't usually answer the question, but leads off on tangents. Tangents can be interesting, even productive, to explore, but they have limited value for answering the original question, and are not best pursued in the "Ask the Umpire" forum. IMHO, of course.

I just deleted some posts by beerguy55 and Maven for some off-topic conversation.  Gentlemen, keep comments relevant to the subject of the original post, closely related conversation divergences or take it to private message land please.  No smarmy, smart-assed personal comments or replies desired.  No warnings issued at this time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maven said:

If you're going to post an answer, please make it responsive.

Changing the situation doesn't usually answer the question, but leads off on tangents. Tangents can be interesting, even productive, to explore, but they have limited value for answering the original question,

I don't disagree, and I do try to make all my responses, when not emotionally charged, relevant to the topic at hand - though sometimes the relevance is only visible in my mind.  (I have a 24 hour rule for the parents on teams I coached, and I sometimes forget that rule myself, so I apologize)

My response was meant to be responsive to the scenario posted, and had no intent to create a tangent, but to merely expand the picture (slightly) of the hypothetical, in making the right call in real time on the field, on a play that almost never happens, which just raises the confusion meter for everyone involved.

1. 99.9% (or some other very high made up number) of the time the OP question as described won't need to be answered because R3 can't physically have crossed the plate in time

2. If you find yourself in the 0.1%, you might want to replay the sequence of events in your head and reassess the likelihood that what you think happened happened

3. And if indeed what happened happened then you know what the answer is

I once saw an umpire working solo, on a crazy triple play, that he probably had never seen and would never see again, tell the crazed/confused OC to wait a second, and then he stepped aside, and you could see him processing the play through his head, checking the boxes, make sure he had the sequence right, and that it actually happened the way he thought it did, then went over, told the coach exactly what happened, and OC thanked him and walked away. 

I always admired the ump for how he handled that.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.