Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
AL-Ump

Mask Sun Visors

Just a curiosity question, but what is the purpose of a mask sun visor?

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Replacement-Mask-Pads-Straps/F3-MSUN_Force3-Sun-Visor-for-Defender-Masks

I've always worn a cap under my mask - 4 or 6 stitch - and have never had issues with the sun.  I tried a buddy's mask that had a visor on it, but I couldn't even see the visor when the mask was on because the visor was shielded by the bill of the cap.  Is the visor for those that umpire with their hats turned around?  I seem to remember on the MLB umpire mask list on a different thread that there are several MLB guys that use the visor.

I umpire softball so maybe its a little ball thing.  Just curious.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AL-Ump said:

Just a curiosity question, but what is the purpose of a mask sun visor?

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Replacement-Mask-Pads-Straps/F3-MSUN_Force3-Sun-Visor-for-Defender-Masks

I've always worn a cap under my mask - 4 or 6 stitch - and have never had issues with the sun.  I tried a buddy's mask that had a visor on it, but I couldn't even see the visor when the mask was on because the visor was shielded by the bill of the cap.  Is the visor for those that umpire with their hats turned around?  I seem to remember on the MLB umpire mask list on a different thread that there are several MLB guys that use the visor.

I umpire softball so maybe its a little ball thing.  Just curious.

As I understand it, it'll still reduce the amount of excess light that reaches your eyes, even with a cap on. I can't attest to it's effectiveness as I don't have one (though I have one on the way) but I was working with a guy with one and he says it works wonders for him. 

10 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

2 issues ......

1. it keeps the sun off of your brim (essentially keeping  you cooler)

2. it looks cool! :HD:

This guy... agrees with that guy. :lol:

And the Pacific NW guys will tell you it helps to keep rain off the brim of your hat also.

• Like 2

All of my masks (except one, as @Thunderheads knows) have a sun visor – one part for looks, two parts for function. In sun-drenched environments (ie. Arizona) the visor is a very useful tool in shielding glare and creating a shaded area that lessens the need to squint and strain your eyes. Less squinting, less eye strain allows you to see and track pitches better. Every little bit of shade matters.

In rainy environments, the visor helps keep drizzle off the hat bill. When water collects on the bill, it becomes a droplet that unfortunately will drop off – like a whitish flash – right during a pitch. At least water shakes off the mask bars and visors whenever you take it off and on.

3 hours ago, AL-Ump said:

This mask sun visor you referenced is for a Force3 Defender specifically. The Defender has a deeper mask profile and the straps on the upper pad attach differently, thereby requiring a different visor. Markworts, Diamond, Honig’s, All-Star, +POS all offer visors for common masks.

3 hours ago, AL-Ump said:

Is the visor for those that umpire with their hats turned around?

A visor is never for these umpires. These umpires need a swift kick in the ass. An umpire’s hat is to be worn brim-forward at all times.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

2 issues ......

1. it keeps the sun off of your brim (essentially keeping  you cooler)

2. it looks cool! :HD:

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

This guy... agrees with that guy. :lol:

And the Pacific NW guys will tell you it helps to keep rain off the brim of your hat also.

Hot damn! You guys took my answers!

Has anyone put a visor on a mizuno 122 frame? I Kind of want one but I feel like it may be too shallow at the top.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, amb1995 said:

Has anyone put a visor on a mizuno 122 frame? I Kind of want one but I feel like it may be too shallow at the top.

Ask @Thunderheads... he can fit a visor anywhere, in any mask.

This model of mask, Amb? The Mizuno 2QA-122?

2qa122.gif

Yeah, it uses the same basic planform as most other masks, so it would take a common sun visor.

No challenge for Jeff.

• Like 1

Ask [mention=969]Thunderheads[/mention]... he can fit a visor anywhere, in any mask.
This model of mask, Amb? The Mizuno 2QA-122?
2qa122.gif
Yeah, it uses the same basic planform as most other masks, so it would take a common sun visor.
No challenge for Jeff.
That's the one!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I may have the pads from one of these for sale somewhat soon. I want to see how I like them on my new Nike frame. But if I don't, they will become available.